Unemployment Cover & Job Seekers....What happens when I get a job offer?

Options
Good evening...

I was made redundant a couple of months ago, I was fortunate to have a Mortgage Protection Plan in place.

I have also been claiming job seekers to continue my NI credits.

Do any of you know what happens if I get a job offer? I had an interview today, and the manager pretty much inferred I will be offered the role, and the start date would be at the end of April..

So, if I get offered this job, and I inform both DWP and the Protection company, will my payments stop straight away? or from the day I actually start work?

I am very worried that I may have no way of paying next months mortgage!. I will be informing them if I get an offer, this is more for peace of mind in the meantime as my nerves are frayed!

I hope someone out there has experience of this process and can shed some light!

Thanks in advance,
Leah

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    To keep getting JSA you have to fulfil the agreement which means still applying for jobs, going for interviews etc. You never know what could happen so don't end your claim until you actually start working again.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Mouthwash_2
    Options
    Thanks - I am more worried about the Mortgage Protection payments and whether they will cease once I have a job offer OR on the day I start actually working..

I will call them as soon as I learn the outcome of my interview, but I thought I would ask on the offchance someone has experience of this process.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Mouthwash wrote: »
    Thanks - I am more worried about the Mortgage Protection payments and whether they will cease once I have a job offer OR on the day I start actually working..

I will call them as soon as I learn the outcome of my interview, but I thought I would ask on the offchance someone has experience of this process.
    Many mortgage protection policies have the condition that to get ehm you need to be claiming JSA so should still get it.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Having a 'job offer' is great but largely irrelevant as far as JSA etc., is concerned. As has been said - the Job Centre need to see that you have been actively searching for a job. Once upon a time - they would do the matching for you and arrange the interviews!
    Once you've had the 'job offer' you can let the Job Centre know when you will start work - your JSA will be paid up to that date. Likewise your MP would only be payable when you are unemployed, when you start work you become employed - easy.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport