Balancing Work and Home Life

Options
Do people have any tips on how they balance their work and home life with kids? How do they get home jobs done after a long day at work and find time to relax? I am currently finding it difficult to fit in any relaxing time with the amount of jobs at home.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    TheGame21 wrote: »
    Do people have any tips on how they balance their work and home life with kids? How do they get home jobs done after a long day at work and find time to relax? I am currently finding it difficult to fit in any relaxing time with the amount of jobs at home.

Here's a little test:

Count up how much time you spend doing the following:

1: Commuting
    2: Working
    3: Sleeping
    4: Mandatory household (e.g. Washing, eating, the basics)

How much time do you have left? Now split that as you wish.

My example:

1: 30 mins
    2: 8 hrs
    3: 6 hrs
    4: 1 hour

leaving me 8.5 a day to do as I wish.
  • jayII
    jayII Posts: 40,693 Forumite
    Options
    It's hard and how hard depends on many things, including the ages of your kids, but it does get easier as they get older and become more independent/able to help.

I found that strict organisation was the key.

I prepped the slow cooker and rice cooker most mornings, so food was ready when we got home, leaving me a short time to play with the kids / take them for a short walk / help with homework and so on.

I did a quick tidy and vacuumed the downstairs each evening and Saturday mornings were for cleaning/tidying/doing laundry. The kids either played or 'helped' when they were small and they helped properly as they got older.

That meant we could chill on Saturday afternoons and do fun things on Sundays, whereas evenings after the kids bedtime was 'me time' for the adults.
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Fighting the biggest battle of my life. :( Started 30th January 2018.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't have relaxing time. I'm a single mum with 2 kids at home and i work full time. You need to try to change your idea of what "relaxing time" is. I find cooking and ironing relaxing, some people dont. I tend not to stress if stuff doesnt get done, everything will still be there tomorrow. I have a routine of sorts, shopping is done on Thursday morning ( my days off are Weds and Thurs and i work Saturdays) and the bathroom gets completely cleaned on a Sunday morning. I hoover when it needs hoovering, the hall stairs and landing get done once a week, same with changing the beds. I usually manage to get an hour each evening to do what i like, i'm happy with that. Of course it depends on how many kids you have and what hours you work.
  • TheGame21
    TheGame21 Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We currently have one child however demanding jobs mean we struggle with getting jobs done at home, spending time with our little one and finding any time to relax.
  • LannieDuck
    LannieDuck Posts: 2,359 Forumite
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Here's a little test:

Count up how much time you spend doing the following:

1: Commuting
    2: Working
    3: Sleeping
    4: Mandatory household (e.g. Washing, eating, the basics)

How much time do you have left? Now split that as you wish.

My example:

1: 30 mins
    2: 8 hrs
    3: 6 hrs
    4: 1 hour

leaving me 8.5 a day to do as I wish.

I find that quite hard to apply.

1: Commuting - 2 hrs
    2: Working - 8 hrs
    3: Sleeping - 7 hrs
    4: Mandatory household - 2 1/2 hrs (incl childcare)

19.5 hrs. Leaving 4 1/2 free

I don't have that much free. 1/2 hour in the morning is getting ready for work. Should that go in mandatory household?

There's always some non-mandatory household I have to try and work through (our mortgage is up for renewal - I need to start researching that), another 1/2 hr each day.

1 hr of the 'free' time is my lunch break at work. I guess that counts, but the work canteen isn't very relaxing.

2 1/2 hours free in the evening sounds about right.
    Mortgage when started: £330,995

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
    Arthur C. Clarke
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Youcan also look at what you do and decide what to prioritse, and also think about how you are sharing the jobs which need to be done.
    For instance:
    How much do the children help out? Depending on their ages, they can help with stuff such as laundry, cleaning, meal prep etc - even wuite small children can leanr to pick up toys, lay a table etc, and older ones should be able to do a bit more so that everyone in the family is sharing the work which needs doing.

How do you and your partner/spouse (if you have one) share the jobs which need doing? It's very easy to fall into patternswhich worked at one time but don't any longer - for instance, if you sp;lti he housework etc the same as you did before children, but one of you is also doing school / nursery runs / afer school clubs / homewok supervision and making lunches and/.or two separate meals in the evening then maybe you need to review who is doing what.

Decide what is most importnat to you. making time to spend just enjoying eacho others company / having fun with the children / relaxing may mean that you have to make a conscious choice not to do something else - whether it is chosing to vacuum slightly less frequently, get a take away once a week instead of cooking, decide to iron fewer items or whatever it takes. Or it might mean making a choise to spend more money on (say) paying someone to come in to clean or iron, and hav less available to spend on other things such as holidays.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    LannieDuck wrote: »
    I find that quite hard to apply.

1: Commuting - 2 hrs
    2: Working - 8 hrs
    3: Sleeping - 7 hrs
    4: Mandatory household - 2 1/2 hrs (incl childcare)

19.5 hrs. Leaving 4 1/2 free

I don't have that much free. 1/2 hour in the morning is getting ready for work. Should that go in mandatory household? - Well yes ofcourse. If it takes you 30 minutes and you HAVE to do it.

There's always some non-mandatory household I have to try and work through (our mortgage is up for renewal - I need to start researching that), another 1/2 hr each day. - But again if you HAVE to do it, that's mandatory.

1 hr of the 'free' time is my lunch break at work. I guess that counts, but the work canteen isn't very relaxing. - I'd count that as work, but if you're at work 9 hours a day and 2 hours commute, then you really need to consider your work / life balance.

2 1/2 hours free in the evening sounds about right.

2.5 hours? I'd be wanting more than 10% of my time as free time to be honest (but I get that too so.. :)
  • LannieDuck
    LannieDuck Posts: 2,359 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 2:43PM
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    2.5 hours? I'd be wanting more than 10% of my time as free time to be honest (but I get that too so.. :)

Yeah, I agree. I'm exhausted. But that's what you get when you want to maintain your career and have two small children :(

Edit: I think I may have done myself out of 30 mins there. I work 8-4.30pm, with a 1 hr break for lunch. Which is 7.5 hrs + 1 hr lunch. So I've actually got 3 hrs free time per day - Whoo! lol
    Mortgage when started: £330,995

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
    Arthur C. Clarke
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you can afford it 'buy' time by paying someone to do some of the household jobs - when my kids were small I did all the grocery shopping online, paying for delivery, and I also paid someone to iron. Couldn't run to a cleaner but would have if I could have afforded it. I also did a bare minimum of housework on the basis that an extra days dust never harmed anyone!
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 6:17PM
    Options
    running a home doesn't take much time once you discard all the things that aren't essential, a couple of hours at the weekend should do it. eg cooking, ironing, washing can all be done simultaneously whilst watching tv.
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport