Refused CCTV footage of myself.

Options

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why ?

Probably because a few years back, the licensing board was treating it as a blanket requirement to premises applying for a licence (that they must have cctv installed).

However thats been changed and now it should be only "problem" pubs who have this as a condition of their licence. So contrary to what the poster said, the fact OP's pub isn't required to have CCTV indicates its the nice sort of pub and not the sort you're likely to leave needing stitches.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Skivey
    Skivey Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My premises does have cctv however on viewing it has malfunctioned. I was sat with Then police as we were going through it and it's as if a spider walked through it for approx 20 minutes during incident.

Bizarre I know but that's how it looks
  • Skivey
    Options
    She isn't a business it's residential. She's pointing onto a public pathway. She doesn't live there.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2018 at 1:20AM
    Options
    Skivey wrote: »
    My premises does have cctv however on viewing it has malfunctioned. I was sat with Then police as we were going through it and it's as if a spider walked through it for approx 20 minutes during incident.

Bizarre I know but that's how it looks

This just seems a bit surreal to be honest.

- Your CCTV has malfunctioned during the time in which the incident happened.

- You only want CCTV footage of yourself, and not of the incident, from the lady.

What's the reasoning behind all of that?

I think there's currently a slim chance that you've had some involvement in the incident and you want to manipulate the evidence to paint you in a good light. So you corrupt your own CCTV data and request a specific date/time from the lady "and the times I wanted" which shows you outside the pub with a few blurred faces and no idea what is going on. The lady has declined, as the police are not prosecuting against anyone, but you have gone all anal potentially because a third party is piling the pressure on you (maybe even the victim?).

Forgive me for being so cynical, but maybe some clarity would help your situation... The bottom line is that you should be providing CCTV footage to the POLICE to incriminate the person who punched the other person (or just leave the victim to gather their own evidence), it is as simple as that. And in fairness but if this is your "first incident in 4 years" then, aside from any action the Police take, it may not "need to be dealt with appropriately" by you! Just a drunken yob who has crossed the line, by all means try and get them done but if your rate is 1 incident every 4 years then you don't need to worry unduly about it (but get rid of the "spiders" because that would help). I've been on nights out around here and there are so many people who carry knives and who go looking for a fight, the rate round here is maybe 1 in 3 nights out? That being said, I'd be hopeful that the venue had CCTV and I would be absolutely fuming if you came out with the "spider" excuse had I been injured at your bar. I'd be livid with you.

Oh and final point.... We have a lot of CCTV cameras in the UK. If the Police were arsed, they could very easily check council-owned CCTV around the exact time of the incident and based on the direction that the person ran away. It is theoretically not rocket science, and something which can be investigated...
  • Skivey
    Options
    I'm not legally allowed to ask for general cctv.. She wouldn't be able to provide it as it's a breach of data protection laws.

Yes my cctv malfunctioned mich to the annoyance of me and the police who also came to view it, bit it's one of those things. Isn't the first time it's happened things are in place to get a new system already. I'm not classed as a high risk entertainment venue so have never needed to use my cctv to get footage before.

I know she wouldn't give me footage blurred out, however law states under ico that she could, for me it's more the getting footage of the incident it's me actually finding out that she does spy on me. (She told my neighbour about the incident before I did)

Most of your next statement is very slanderous. I don't even need to give you the satisfaction of a reply on that.

You're right, there is more here than meets the eye. We have been harassed by said neighbour for over 2 years now and it's starting to get frustrating. 12 months ago she put up cctv that goes direct into our door, and floodlights that shine directly into our window. We currently have a lawyer who is dealing with this case.

I didn't come here to be fired upon I merely asked advice on my stance when a residential neighbour who is purposely filming us, no signs saying cctv in operation, not registered with ico refuses to give me footage even though I've asked. The question was answered above and with great thanks. I'll be contacting the ico in due course.

Kind regards

Matt
  • Skivey
    Options
    I will let you know what the ico say
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you have a lawyer why not just ask them?
  • ssparks2003
    ssparks2003 Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If there was an incident that the police are investigating then surely they could obtain it if required. But as you note that the police are not investigating then it's not needed and you don't get to "deal with it appropriately"
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    Maybe there's something I'm missing, but why do you want footage of yourself but not of the incident? AND have the faces of everyone else blurred out?

Wouldn't you be more concerned about the INCIDENT (faces not blurred), so that you can pass the footage over to the police for possible prosecution?

Op isn't entitled to footage of anyone else.
    I'm not understanding why you'd be entitled to the footage.
    Everyone is entitled to footage of themselves, and only themselves.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The reason the OP wants the footage (of themself) is that it'll prove that the neighbour is spying on the OP's property, and so help with the harassment claim. The "incident" is just a by-product and convenient excuse for requesting the footage.

(That's how I read things).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport