Removing red wine stain from carpet?

Options
My lovely husband knocked over a glass of red wine last night and about a third of a glass landed on our light beige carpet. :eek:

He immediately blotted it with kitchen towel and gave it a wash with some water, without scrubbing. We put some bicarb on it overnight and the stains are now a grey colour, but still obvious in some lights. He has since tried some carpet cleaner we had in the cupboard, but it really hasn't made much difference. It's a year old carpet in a large room and in a really obvious place which can't be hidden. We both feel like crying right now.

Is there anything that you could recommend that we try or I wondered if anyone had any success with professional carpet cleaners? We would happily pay if we thought it could work.

Thanks.

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had tried all the old wives' methods till I got Dr Beckmann Carpet Stain Remover, and found it really did work. About £3.50 from most supermarkets.

It removes other stains too, but we were amazed at what a good job it did on dried red wine in a pale carpet, as well as the fabric seat of a chair (yes, my granddaughter was very thorough!
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My experience of heavy staining is there are always products to get it out but then it needs the whole carpet doing else the spot looks too new/clean.

Maybe get a few quotes for a proper clean?
  • another_casualty
    Options
    I have heard of white vinegar and water sprayed onto a carpet is supposed to work. Not tried it myself,but who knows ?
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have heard of white vinegar and water sprayed onto a carpet is supposed to work. Not tried it myself,but who knows ?

No, not vinegar - it may bleach the carpet.

Too late now, but white wine on top of the fresh red wine is supposed to work.

See what Lakeland Ltd have - I think they have a red wine spot cleaner.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice.

I've looked up reviews for the Dr Beckmann carpet cleaner and we are going to see if we can get some today as the reviews look promising.

Apparently the white wine thing is a bit of a myth, as is salt, so I've avoided those so far. Not sure that the bicarb did much good either. I will have a look at the lakeland product too as we have a local store.

If anything works I will report back.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ashe wrote: »
    My experience of heavy staining is there are always products to get it out but then it needs the whole carpet doing else the spot looks too new/clean.

Maybe get a few quotes for a proper clean?

The carpet is only 1 year old
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    seashore22 wrote: »
    I've looked up reviews for the Dr Beckmann carpet cleaner and we are going to see if we can get some today as the reviews look promising.

Apparently the white wine thing is a bit of a myth, as is salt, so I've avoided those so far. Not sure that the bicarb did much good either. I will have a look at the lakeland product too as we have a local store.
    Yes, I originally saw the Which? review and found it really did work.

Which? also did a test of the 'old wives'' remedies and came up with the same conclusion you did.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 March 2018 at 5:02PM
    Options
    I am very happy to say that the Dr Beckmann carpet stain remover worked a treat and you can't see any marks on the carpet in any light. Phew.

My husband is incredibly relieved and I wanted to say a big thank you for all the advice and especially to Biggles, who is a life saver.

Hopefully this thread will help others in the same boat.

Edit - we wouldn't have wanted to clean the whole carpet because it looks like new as we have no children or pets at home any more and don't wear shoes indoors. To be honest a bit more wear and tear would have made the whole thing less annoying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure