Glasses Deals Discussion

Options

Comments

• animalambulanceman
    Options
    I got my eyes tested and new glasses a fortnight ago but being a very hard wearer-I sit on them or they get tucked in the neckband of the T shirt I'm wearing and they fall out or get zipped into a jacket and broken-I'd like to buy myself a couple or 3 pairs as spares.Do i need a new eye test/prescription or can i just get a copy of my last one from my optician and use this to buy them from online?
  • scorpio1911
    Options
    No I am not. I am Carol who lives in Glasgow with my own business -cmconsultantsscotland.com. It is such a rarity to get good customer service in the UK these days I felt it only fair to give recognition to a company who deserve it!
  • nereus031
    Options
    I have found another site, offering prescription glasses for £9.99, including delivery. Go to onespecs.co.uk for details. They have a pretty large range of frames, and varifocal lenses can be specified at no extra cost. Things like photochromic coatings are extra (£30), but it looks good to me. I'll probably try a pair.
  • bigred23
    bigred23 Posts: 69 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2011 at 2:19PM
    Options
    Help needed ordering reading glasses! Went for eye test the other day and was given my perscription for reading glasses but don't understand how I can order what the opticans say.

Right Eye - Near: Sphere +.25, Cyl - none, Axis - none, Prism - 2.5 and Base - IN
    - Distance: nothing
    - Intermediate: nothing
    Left Eye - Near: Sphere +.75, Cyl - none, Axis - none, Prism - 2.5 and Base - IN
    - Distance: nothing
    - Intermediate: nothing
  • tifo
    tifo Posts: 1,941 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    is this thread becoming an advert for alternatives to selectspecs?
  • stripee
    stripee Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget you can also get cashback from topcashback of 8% with Groupon when buying the Lensway Coupon/Voucher deal (so about £2.40 for the £30 voucher). A nice little bonus on top of an already great deal.

I've bought two vouchers from Groupon (via topcashback) over the past couple of months, and tracking has worked fine.

Good Luck everyone!
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Dont know if someone has already mentioned but you can get glasses (frames & lenses) from £10 a pair at Tesco. They even include a hard case and a cloth for that price. Excellent for anyone on a budget and its good you can have your pupil distance etc checked before they are ordered even if you have your prescription already.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • mbhoy
    Options
    Can I add a cautionary note to the discussion on cheap specs from online unregistered suppliers.
    1. Your eyecare is important - all High Strret Dispensing Opticians & Optometrists are qualified professionals dedicated to eye health & care. (They're not just purveyors of glasses!) It is essential for all to have a regular eye examination to ensure good health (both general and eye health), not just a quick vision check "that I can see okay"!
    2. Not all Optometrists & Dispensing Opticians are overcharging for the services they provide - I for one don't!
    3. There appears to be a number of queries on these pages regarding the provision of different types of spectacle lenses & of eye test prescription interpretation - the provision of properly measured and fitted glasses is essential to aid and assist good vision - it is NOT good practice or advisable to buy glasses which have not been "tailored" to suit. (There are a whole range of prescriptions & lens types that cannot be made up correctly and accurately online)
    4. In the attempt to save a few pounds on specs, we can do ourselves a great dis-service and even more seriously cause harm due to incorrect spectacles and sub-standard vision. (Especially when driving)
    So please, take care and be cautious when allowing unqualified suppliers to provide your eyecare - you only have one pair of eyes - look after them!
  • nedmundo
    nedmundo Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nereus031 wrote: »
    I have found another site, offering prescription glasses for £9.99, including delivery. Go to onespecs.co.uk for details. They have a pretty large range of frames, and varifocal lenses can be specified at no extra cost. Things like photochromic coatings are extra (£30), but it looks good to me. I'll probably try a pair.

I'd advise caution here - They are based in Jersey and therefore not bound by the same distance selling laws that apply in the UK.
    Beware the character seeking personal gain masquerading as a moral crusader.
    :beer:
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    Note that lensway have now removed (or increased the price) of their £9.99 glasses, just before the groupon vouchers go live.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure