UK Credit card used for an overseas purchase

Options
I have bought a watch from a company in New York. This was two days ago. It should be posted to a friend's house in the US. I paid with a UK MasterCard.

I am getting a bit nervous as the company does not reply to email enquiries (the website shows 'in stock' and I wanted to know when the watch was being posted). This could be something to do with Passover (New York company and I'm guessing a Jewish owner?).

Anyway, I know that there are various consumer rights if I bought in the UK (like cooling off period etc.) but can I get a refund on my card if the watch is not despatched?

I have a feeling that I have 14 days to request this. Does anyone know for sure?

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    It's been two days, plus it's easter and stuff.

You're panicking too soon.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »
    I have bought a watch from a company in New York. This was two days ago. It should be posted to a friend's house in the US. I paid with a UK MasterCard.

I am getting a bit nervous as the company does not reply to email enquiries (the website shows 'in stock' and I wanted to know when the watch was being posted). This could be something to do with Passover (New York company and I'm guessing a Jewish owner?).

Anyway, I know that there are various consumer rights if I bought in the UK (like cooling off period etc.) but can I get a refund on my card if the watch is not despatched?

I have a feeling that I have 14 days to request this. Does anyone know for sure?

That '14 days' you are thinking of is the time following delivery during which you can cancel your order.

But that is UK law.

You only have a claim against your card supplier if you have a claim against the seller. As you made the purchase in the US of A, the sale is bound by US legislation, I have no idea if there is any 'cooling off period etc' in US federal or state law, hence it is not possible for me to say whether you have a claim against your credit card provider.

As mentioned above, you are panicking too early.
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is now four days since I bought this item, and the company have still not replied to the simple request 'when are you shipping the watch please?'

The website shows it as 'in stock' so it isn't as though there is a warehouse/delivery time lag. Hence my suspicions about the lack of communication.

I suppose what I am asking is: after a reasonable time (say 10 days) can I ring my bank and ask them to cancel the transaction?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is now four days since I bought this item, and the company have still not replied to the simple request 'when are you shipping the watch please?'

The website shows it as 'in stock' so it isn't as though there is a warehouse/delivery time lag. Hence my suspicions about the lack of communication.

I suppose what I am asking is: after a reasonable time (say 10 days) can I ring my bank and ask them to cancel the transaction?

Less than 24 hours ago you said it was 2 days. When exactly did you order it and from which website?

Yes if it doesn't materialise you should be able to get a refund from the bank. However, I suspect you'll have to wait longer than 10 days. Chargeback requires you to wait 15 days from the day it was due to be delivered. Section 75 only makes the creditor jointly liable (so would depend on the terms of the contract/the laws of the state they are registered).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes you can.

What was the purchase price of this item?

Under UK legislation, the seller is expected to supply the goods within thirty days unless some other timescale is agreed.

We are now back to whatever US legislation may say on that subject.

Perhaps The Better Business Bureau can help you.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Have you addressed the item to yourself or to your friend?

What is the name of the website, have you tried calling them?
  • Beenie
    Options
    It is four days unholyangel, and it's the lack of reply that is bothering me.

If they emailed me and said there was a problem with speedy despatch, then I would be OK with that.

The watch cost £400 and it is going to my friend's house in the US. It is purchased as a gift.

I will try the link to Better Business bureau if no joy in 10 days (that is 14 days in total).
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    There is also a chance this transaction has been put on hold, phone the CC to find out. A UK CC buying something from and being shipped within the US will have red flags flying vigorously.

Ps a gift is not covered under S75 so don't tell the CC co that.
  • jonmoneybags
    Options
    4 days!!! You have been scammed, you need to cancel all your credit cards, all your bank accounts, change your fingerprints, move house, and put tinfoil on your head.
  • Beenie
    Options
    I have had a reply from them.

It takes at least 4 business days to process an order, and they don't take the cash until the order is shipped.

That's all I wanted really, a reply from them and the knowledge that there was something I could do via the CC company if it turned out to be a scam.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure