descaling coffee machine

Options
I need to descale my tassimo, but the special cleaning tablets cost a fair bit, plus I want a coffee now and haven't got one. Could I use the descaling powder I've got left over from my baby bottle steriliser? It says citric acid, mix with 200mls water, but the coffee machine uses 500mls, so 2 packets? Its just to tide me over till I can get some all purpose descaler cheaper somewhere else.

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Neat vinegar will do the job - run it through the system a few times then run hot water through to clean it out.
  • sunshinetours
    sunshinetours Posts: 2,854 Forumite
    Options
    White vinegar (or malt is fine if you don;t have white). Can dilute it slightly if you prefer and run the cleaning program. Then flush with clean water a few times
    Never used the proper cleaning tabs in 2.5 years and no probs so far
    Malt vinegar does smell a bit whilst you are doing it though so open the windows!!
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I went to 'Robert Dyas' and they have loads of descalers for equipment including 'Coffee Makers' BUT

Would any of the coffee maker descalers be suitable for a Krups Dolce Gusto pod coffee maker??? (they show pictures of percolators)
  • sunshinetours
    sunshinetours Posts: 2,854 Forumite
    Options
    providing they are in a form that can be put through the machine on whatever cleaning program it has I can't see an issue.
    On the Tassimo for instance it needs to be something that gets added or put instead of the water in the water tank.

Vinegar will always be cheapest!
  • Rbrookbanks
    Options
    Do NOT use vinegar in a Tassimo, the manufacturer specifically says to avoid it as its too acidic and will cause internal corrosion. Good old citric acid powder is a far better alternative to the tablets in an emergency.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do NOT use vinegar in a Tassimo, the manufacturer specifically says to avoid it as its too acidic and will cause internal corrosion. Good old citric acid powder is a far better alternative to the tablets in an emergency.

May be good advice but this thread is eighteen months old.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    May be good advice but this thread is eighteen months old.

Trust a newbie to dredge old threads up !
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2012 at 6:06PM
    Options
    muckybutt wrote: »
    Trust a newbie to dredge old threads up !

Don't knock it, they must have mastered 'search' at least so that means they won't be posting the same old standard questions over again :D

PS I would not use vinegar, its not pure enough. I buy 500g of citric acid off ebay about once a year which is enough to keep kettles, my Tassimo etc. all clean and its non toxic, same stuff as they use in the sachets for Tassimo, baby steamers and so on.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • lil.smartie
    Options
    The Dolce Gusto 'proper' descaler is liquid that is mixed in the water tank & run through a few times. Can buy liquid descaler in Boots :)

Kate
  • sunshinetours
    Options
    Have used vinegar for 3 years or so with no noticeable issues in our Tassimo. It doesn't stay in the machine and gets washed through with plenty of water - stinks though when you do it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure