Unexpected request to confirm tax residency - Halifax

Options
I have received a letter from Halifax: "Confirm where you are resident for tax purposes" plus a form to fill in and return: "Tax residency self-certification for individuals and sole traders".

Letter purports to be from Halifax PO Box 548 Leeds LS1 1WU.

The gist of the letter/form is that I need to tell them my "Country [or countries] of Residence for Tax Purposes" since 01-July-2014 (apparently some law of disclosure came into force then) so that they can share information between countries such that correct taxes are paid.

Requested information is name, adresss, DOB, "TIN" (it says that means NI number for UK citizens) and countries of residence with from/to dates.

They have not cited any of my (several) account numbers so I don't know which account(s) have triggered this [if it is genuine of course].

Envelope for return of form is addressed to Tax Compliance Service Centre, PO Box 7082, Willenhall, WV1 9AD. It has a Business Reply Plus Licence Number RTTK-HSUA-XEAR

Thing is, while I do have have current and savings accounts with Halifax and did open a new on-line savings account with them about a year ago (significant amount - pension lump-sum) there is nothing to suggest that I am other than life-long UK citizen (born here as were my parents and all of my grandparents) or that I have invested the money overseas.

The letter says if I don't reply by 17-May-2016 they may need to pass my details to the appropriate tax authorities. There's a phone number 0345 850 9064 but I don't know whether that's genuine (can't see it on the Halifax website page for contacts).

Any ideas what this is about? Suppose I need to go into a branch (and be told: "Yes, you just need to fill it in and post it") but thought I'd post here first to see whether I'm alone in this.

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    blackfish wrote: »
    ...The gist of the letter/form is that I need to tell them my "Country [or countries] of Residence for Tax Purposes" since 01-July-2014 (apparently some law of disclosure came into force then) so that they can share information between countries such that correct taxes are paid.....

That would be FACTA - Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act.

For some reason or another, the Halifax think you might be a US citizen.
  • Betty86
    Options
    I received same letter today, but from Lloyds. Going to visit branch on Monday to ask if it's genuine.
  • Shonabell
    Options
    I too have received this letter. It states Financial Institutions 'may' be required to report certain customers account information based on their tax residency. The following exert is from The Telegraph " After July 2016 anyone opening a new investment account – whether the company is US or British – will have to provide information required by the IRS. This new regime has been disruptive to finance firms, though consumers have heard little about it. The tax authorities here and in Europe say they will benefit eventually as more information about evasion will be shared each way. But to me it seems just another example of information harvesting – on a truly global scale." I am not completing the form - I do not see any lawful requirement.
  • waywardj
    Options
    I have received exactly the same letter. I too opened an account about one year ago, though in my case this was with Lloyds rather than the Halifax.
    Checking with your branch may be the safe option, though if this is a scam, they would seem to be going to a lot of effort with business license numbers for mail and a dedicated big organisation post code, just to get your social security or TIN.
  • blackfish
    blackfish Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 2 April 2016 at 1:26PM
    Options
    At present I don't think it is a scam. A bit more research suggests that the IRS (US) want to keep an eye on its ex-pats who may have settled in the UK so our Government passed some Financial Act with reciprocal arrangements. Fine (maybe) if I were a US citizen (I am not) or if I had US investments (I don't). Maybe these letters are triggered by the sum involved (else there'd be millions of letters and a lot more media attention). I'll treat it as 'pending' for now and add the letter to my procrastination pile.
  • blackfish
    edited 2 April 2016 at 1:24PM
    Options
    Shonabell wrote: »
    The following exert is from The Telegraph " After July 2016 anyone opening a new investment account – whether the company is US or British – will have to provide information required by the IRS.

Think that should read July 2014 (reading the notes that came with my letter).
  • Fred_Bear_2
    Fred_Bear_2 Posts: 392 Forumite
    Options
    I received one today from BM Savings. I do not currently have any savings with them, although I have had in the past. I feel inclined not to reply and risk the consequences.
  • blackfish
    Options
    If it helps to understand what other institutions are affected, my letter says:

[START QUOTE]
    This information relates to any of the products with financial institutions that form part of the Lloyds Banking Group. These could include

Bank of Scotland
    Birmingham Midshires Savings
    Cheltenham and Gloucester
    Clerical Medical
    Halifax
    Intelligent Finance
    Iweb Share Dealing
    Lloyds Bank
    Lloyds Bank International
    Lloyds Bank Gibralter
    Scottish Widows Bank
    St. James's Place Bank

These also include certain AA Savings and SAGA branded savings accounts, which are deposits with Bank of Scotland.
    [END QUOTE]
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you search the forum you will find that this has been discussed previously. I didn't stick with the last thread on the subject but I'm pretty sure that the letter is genuine.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,799 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I too have received this letter purporting to come from the Halifax. I tried ringing the phone number beginning 0345 - it immediately cut out to the dialing tone. Not a good start.! I then rang the Halifax who didn't recognise the number or have any idea why I should have received the letter. I then googled the name on the return envelope Tax Compliance Service Centre. No results. I then spoke to HMRC as I was feeling slightly threatened that I may be subject to HMRC penalties - I have read about these letters before some time ago but surely there should be SOME way to check they are authentic. After referring to someone more senior, I was asked if I minded photocopying the pages and sending them to them. It may well be real but they could just be fishing for info!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure