Options
2»

Comments

• benten69
    benten69 Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jamiesmum wrote: »
    I didn't know car insurance was more expensive for unemployed people. why is this?

The answer is simply because of statistics. From what insurers have found over the years, it seems like people who are unemployed are more likely to get into accidents, so they are statistically a higher risk than others.

It's ridiculous, because someone who was say a doctor who got let go doesn't automatically become a higher risk, but its the way they do things I'm afraid.

I used to have a Mitsubishi Evo 5, 350bhp, 350 ft/lb of torque, think my insurance was something like £600, then I sold it for an Audi A4 diesel. Much slower car, and realistically, much less likely to speed or do silly things in it.

My insurance premium went UP by £100, not down!! I argued my point with the insurers and they came back and said "because there are more of this type of car (Audi) on the road you are more likely to be involved in an accident than with your last car".

So yeah, apparently the SLOWER, more reliable car is more of an insurance risk than the road going rally car.....my response was simply "so if I buy a Zonda will you insure me for free, seeing as there is maybe 100 of those in the entire UK...."

Needless to say, he couldn't respond to that and simply said it's what their system is telling them.

So yeah, just comes down to what their statistics deem as a higher risk.
  • dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    That's great unless they discover you've been lying to them - probably after an accident because they have no need to check otherwise. Then your insurance gets cancelled, and you get listed on the insurance fraud database, which gets shared with all the other insurance companies.

Dude I was kidding. Chill out.

Although my dad wrote two cars off and was never asked to prove his employment status or job title. :money:
  • jaydeeuk11
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    but you are working! you are employed by DWP to research job leads and test them out

the unemployed get hammered with car insurance Cos , they seem to think that £74 a week is going to allow them to do huge mileages per week

Think its more to do with the fact that if its a choice between eating or replace the bald tyres/leaking brakes, then they're more likely to choose the food option, so rightfully imo, they should be charged more as they're a higher risk.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    benten69 wrote: »
    My insurance premium went UP by £100, not down!! I argued my point with the insurers and they came back and said "because there are more of this type of car (Audi) on the road you are more likely to be involved in an accident than with your last car".
    That suggests the person that told you doesn't understand statistics, or possibly what they were told by someone that does, or were just making it up. Unless you can talk to an actuary, you're unlikely to get the real reason.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Generally there's a "new car" factor - your unfamiliar with it so more likely to do something wrong (hit the wrong switch, misjudge the length/turning circle, or overstep on the performance), and will come down again.

I normally keep cars for about 4-5 years, so I usually get an initial hit changing and then it settles down.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That suggests the person that told you doesn't understand statistics, or possibly what they were told by someone that does, or were just making it up. Unless you can talk to an actuary, you're unlikely to get the real reason.

More likely, it's because Mitsubishi Evos are enthusiasts' cars, and enthusiasts like to look after their cars, not wreck them.

Whereas, Audis are driven by Audi drivers.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They'll be a higher risk of defaulting
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    They'll be a higher risk of defaulting

Based on what?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors