PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Complaint about buyer's survey

Options
2»

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I sympathise completely. However as others have said, this is how surveys are all written.

I strongly believe they are (all) misleading and, as has we regularly see on this forum, cause FTBs to panic uneccessarily due to the misunderstanding caused by the wording.

Condition Rating 3 – defects that are serious and/or need to be repaired, replaced or investigated urgently.

FTB see 'condition 3 - defects' and understandably think there is a (serious) problem, when in fact it is simply a poorly worded way of saying "I'm not qualified to judge the electrics (etc) so you should get someone else"

But it is the system that is wrong, not this surveyor.
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    I sympathise completely. However as others have said, this is how surveys are all written.

I strongly believe they are (all) misleading and, as has we regularly see on this forum, cause FTBs to panic uneccessarily due to the misunderstanding caused by the wording.

Condition Rating 3 – defects that are serious and/or need to be repaired, replaced or investigated urgently.

FTB see 'condition 3 - defects' and understandably think there is a (serious) problem, when in fact it is simply a poorly worded way of saying "I'm not qualified to judge the electrics (etc) so you should get someone else"

But it is the system that is wrong, not this surveyor.

If I were a first time buyer - as opposed to someone who hasn't had a survey of any kind carried out on their last three (very ancient ;)) house purchases - I would be scared off by the use of the term "urgently" in this context as it does imply some underlying serious issues. I feel for you, OP and think an overhaul of the house buying system in England and Wales is long overdue :(
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi. So-called "damp" meters actually measure conductivity. Water, as we know, is a great conductor of electricity so, apply a damp meter to a piece of copper and the reading would be damp to the point of soggy. The meter can't tell the difference between one conductive material and another. The surveyor, in true backside-covering spirit, assumes any conductivity must be caused by damp, when there may be another explanation.

The other issues have all been addressed but to sum up: Can't see it/can't be bothered to lift drain cover/ain't qualified = 3

The gas/electricity/heating you have certificates for. Most of the rest you have evidence for. You could get a drain survey done, if you wanted more evidence but that is usually the buyer's headache. HTH.
  • peter_we
    peter_we Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Its a valuations survey, maybe the buyer ought to have got more appropriate report. There are five levels.
    http://www.rics.org/uk/knowledge/home-survey-suite/rics-home-surveys/
  • slowpoke_rodriguez
    Options
    Apollo wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far folks. Picking up on the responses:

The bullet point list that I posted is pretty much verbatim. It's taken from section J of a standard RICS report under the heading Risks to the Property and is a summary. There is lots more narrative on each of these points within the main body of the report.

Not exactly verbatim then...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport