P.I.P. consultation (mental health condition)

Options
2»

Comments

• tensandunits_2
    Options
    Thankyou all for sharing your experiences. Tomorrow's the day of OH's consultation, we'll see how it goes. I thought P.I.P. was supposed to be more geared towards mental health conditions than DLA was. However it does look like we're going to be at the behest of these assessors, so it's anyone's guess what they'll actually say in their report. I shall make it clear that his disability might be invisible but that doesn't mean it's not there.
    It is not because things are difficult that we dare not venture
    It is because we dare not venture that they are difficult

SENECA
  • tensandunits_2
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    I'm now at the stage of having to decide if I want to lodge a late request for another appeal or if I want to apply again under my revised diagnoses. At this point, I'm not sure if I can cope with either.

As I was saying to my OH it's Catch-22. If you're well enough to be able to fill out these forms, attend the assessment, perform well at said assessment and ensure they write down the relevant information, you're well enough not to need their help. If you're not well enough to do these things you won't get the help you need due to not being well enough to go through the process.

OH did his best to explain his symptoms etc at the assessment, which was quite detailed. We now await the decision letter. The person taking the assessment was not a mental health nurse and I'm not convinced she was writing down the salient points. She told me that the PA4 consultation report is only available after they've sent the decision letter out, which contradicts what Muttleythefrog was saying.

His ESA claim is also being re-assessed, despite him being having been declared to be in the support group permanently so we'll probably have to go through all this again. Apparently it's another company who do the assessments for ESA, not Atos.

What a lot of stress and hassle, for people who are already ill and vulnerable.

SENECA
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    he can't be 'declared to be in the support group permanently'.

the maximum award is 3 years
  • tensandunits_2
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    he can't be 'declared to be in the support group permanently'.

the maximum award is 3 years

Well, that's what they told him on the phone a few years ago, after a lengthy discussion about which group he should be put into. His illness is permanent and very unlikely to change, sadly.

SENECA
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    a permenant condition means nothing with regards to ESA.
    i am blind and will always be blind ( barring a miracle ;) ) and my ESA award is the longest that it can be. 3 years
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well, that's what they told him on the phone a few years ago, after a lengthy discussion about which group he should be put into. His illness is permanent and very unlikely to change, sadly.
    There's many people out there, myself included whose condition is permanent but the max anyone can get is 3 years as Nannytone has stated.
  • rockingbilly
    rockingbilly Posts: 853 Forumite
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    a permenant condition means nothing with regards to ESA.
    i am blind and will always be blind ( barring a miracle ;) ) and my ESA award is the longest that it can be. 3 years

My previous two ESA awards were for 3 years each as eventually determined by the Tribunals
    My DLA awards were 'indefinite' as eventually determined by the Tribunals
    My PIP claim was turned down on the basis that it was clear to the assessor and the DWP case manager that I don't have the right type of difficulties.

So I agree with you in that you may well have permanent problems and chronic conditions, but that means nothing when claiming sickness or disability based benefits.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As
    His ESA claim is also being re-assessed, despite him being having been declared to be in the support group permanently so we'll probably have to go through all this again. Apparently it's another company who do the assessments for ESA, not Atos.
    As above think not possible. But it is worth saying as per others I when last reassessed was given 3 years... but I presume given how troubled the system is around and after ATOS HC leaving the contract they have deferred reassessments for some as suggested by whistleblowers at the time. My reassessment was now over 4 years ago... Feb 2013 they stated in call 36 months award.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,768 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

So I agree with you in that you may well have permanent problems and chronic conditions, but that means nothing when claiming sickness or disability based benefits.
    It should affect at least the consideration of reassessment timing... for both ESA and PIP... admittedly not in any greatly sophisticated way is it typically done.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure