Noisy Neighbors

Options
Hello Folks,

Hope you are well.

I have put up with noisy neighbors for around 1 year and 6 months so far. I have insulated the dividing wall in my back bedroom and spoken to them numerous times. I think due to how the building is built it still carrys alot of impact noise.

I sometimes work from home in a spare back bedroom, which is suitable for an office, however when i hear these sudden loud banging noises from next door i lose concentration and get really frustrated. When i try focus on my work again, i hear further banging sounds and lose concentration again.

The back bedroom is the quietest room of them all. I could get an office but the business is very small and i do not want to have to be forced out of my own home. Does anyone please have any solutions, should i invest in more soundproofing or does anybody have any further solutions? Thanks so much for reading my post and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many thanks,

Paul

Comments

• poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Only because I don't see any mention of it, I have to ask if you've spoken and/or written to your neighbours? They might not be aware how badly their noises sound to you and a quiet word might save you a fortune in the cost of materials.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Only because I don't see any mention of it, I have to ask if you've spoken and/or written to your neighbours?
    No mention of it?
    I have put up with noisy neighbors for around 1 year and 6 months so far. I have insulated the dividing wall in my back bedroom and spoken to them numerous times.

Speaking from experience, I know that noisy neighbours are without a doubt, one of the worst things people have to put up with.
    The place I used to live (semi detached bungalow) had a neighbour who was renting the property and who didn't give a toss about the noise they caused.
    I lost track of the number of times I was banging on their front door at 1-2am to get them to shut up and after the first few times, I wasn't exactly polite when asking them.

The only advice I can offer is that if you are considering moving out in the near future, try to keep any negotiations "off the record" as it could severely impact any possible sale that may occur.

I was extremely lucky in that the person I sold to (a 75 year old woman) wanted to move in to the area to be near to her son who was a police detective I the local police force and she assured me that noisy neighbours wouldn't be a problem for too long!
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've read about neighbour noise through the walls in so many posts on here, I have read about sound-proofing, tea and biscuit chats, reporting to the council or Police...and it always boils down to the same thing and the same advice - move, before it gets worse and drives you mad and the fact it has been reported means it must be declared if you sell in the future.

Noise doesn't bother some people but I think they are the minority.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Does anyone please have any solutions, should i invest in more soundproofing or does anybody have any further solutions?

Retrofitting soundproofing can be hit & miss based on some of the comments I've seen in similar threads - A neighbour soundproofed his garage recently and uses the space to play electric guitar loudly. Can still hear him when the rest of the band comes round to rehearse.

In your situation, may be a shed at the bottom of the garden would be an alternative to moving. Something a little more up market than an 8'x6' B&Q - http://www.wikkelhouse.com/
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Auntie-Dolly Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Options
    Earplugs? Headphones?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

I sometimes work from home in a spare back bedroom, which is suitable for an office, however when i hear these sudden loud banging noises from next door i lose concentration and get really frustrated.
    If the loud bangs are from a single source such as a door banging shut try talking to the neighbour about it. Adding something soft between the door and frame may be a solution.

Some rental properties have Perko door slammers fitted. From experience these can cause relentless problems for neighbours.
  • Dreamscometrue
    Options
    I also have a nuisance tenant next door who has been nothing but trouble since day one and deliberately makes a nuisance of himself. I am currently studying at home for another degree and somehow he seems to know that I'm here. I could here him shouting through the walls yesterday in a mocking tone "working from home, ha ha ha" and a reply of "she might be"! Sometimes I'm at home, sometimes I'm in a different part of the country or overseas for work. It is 2017 and women can and do work in IT and we can support and program from home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure