A new debt free journey

Options

Comments

• lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 6 November 2015 at 8:25PM
    Options
    Good news on the vet front. First and foremost there was nothing wrong so no repeat visits and no issues. Secondly I apparently had some credit on the account from previous treatment so the visit today was free! I had no idea I'd overpaid somewhere but it's worked out for the best. I took the opportunity to buy some extra bedding instead so spent £11 of the vet fund but the vet recommended a change just in case they're having a slightly allergic reaction. All very exciting.....

My plan to leave my purse at home almost backfired on me yesterday as my petrol light was flashing, so I pulled into the petrol station and almost filled up! Luckily I remembered before I spent any money I didn't have. Got me thinking. Perhaps I should keep an emergency £5 in the car or something as I'm so ditzy!
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,796 as of 04/24
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    I keep an emergency fiver tucked in behind my phone cover. You just never know...
  • lcc86
    Options
    Currently at work, it's not been too bad and only have three hours left and then that's it. I feel sad to be saying goodbye to the kids here but I'm doing it for the right reasons.

Going to buy a few bits in Tesco on my way home to see us through (mainly stuff for OH).

I was reading another diary on here where someone suggested saving a month's expenses just in case. This is a really sound idea and something I should do. So I've decided that the spare pennies I'm sweeping away will go towards that. My expenses from December onwards will come to about £1400 a month, so that's my target. So far I have.... £5 :rotfl: But we all have to start somewhere! This can't really start in earnest until I start getting paid from my new job. Equally it will slow down my debt repayments but it'll be for the right reasons and means that essentially I can live off last month's pay so I think it's a good idea.

Right, better get back to work!
  • lcc86
    Options
    A few spends to update:

£3 on Sunday for a car wash (it's nigh on impossible to wash my car at home due to living on the third floor and struggling for parking so this is one luxury I allow myself every few months!).

£2 on hay for my piggies yesterday.

25p on a cactus for a Christmas present. The label said £2.50 but when the cashier scanned it, it came up as 1p, so she said she would do it for 25p as it was obviously reduced. I wasn't going to argue with that :D I'm going to make a terrarium as a gift.

Today and tomorrow should both be NSD's, my standing order for my credit card goes through tomorrow so I'll be able to update my totals. I'll also sweep my pennies over to my savings tomorrow and update that total.

I have a halfday at work today as they owe me some hours before I leave. Going to come home and do some studying and then I have a review with my doctor later on.
  • lcc86
    Options
    Some positives from today:

1. Today has been a NSD
    2. My doctor has reduced my medication with a view to stopping completely
    3. I finished the first draft of my essay

:j
  • lcc86
    edited 11 November 2015 at 2:30PM
    Options
    Gah a little setback today, one of my pigs is definitely unwell and a trip to the vet has been arranged for this evening. This may mean I use up some of my savings for my holiday if it costs more than what my vet fund sits at, but needs must. At least I can cover the costs from savings pots rather than relying on credit cards!

On the plus side my debt now stands at £7,079, so I have paid 22.5%. Edging ever closer to my target! I've been on this forum for over a year and have almost cleared a quarter of my debt. I definitely don't want to take three years to clear the remaining 75% so must rethink my priorities (although the new job will help).
  • lcc86
    edited 11 November 2015 at 11:21PM
    Options
    So the trip to the vet cost £45 and has all but wiped out my vet fund :mad: Another trip is needed in a weeks time. I'll take the money from my holiday savings pot if needed. Hopefully it's nothing major, these things happen. As I've shown before on here I'll go to the ends of the earth for my small furries! Now I need to work at rebuilding that vet fund!
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Oh no! I completely feel your pain with vet bills. Hope that your little piggy is on the mend soon and at no extra cost.
  • lcc86
    Options
    Thanks CCL, if I end up with another big bill I'll take inspiration from you in paying it off!
  • lcc86
    Options
    So I've just paid off the remainder of my phone contract as I've found a much cheaper one with 20gb of data rather than the measly 1gb I have so I bought that. My current provider will owe me money when my final bill comes through too. The extra data will give me some comfort on train journeys home when I start the new job lol.

I also need some bin bags today and some shower gel so it wouldn't have been a NSD anyway. Tomorrow and Saturday should be though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport