Combi with integrated storage tank

Options
SuzieSue
SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
Hi

I am considering getting one of these. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Worcester Bosch, Vaillant and Viessmann all do them.

I can't find if any come with a backup electric immersion heater or whether I could have one fitted retrospectively?

I should have said that I would prefer a system boiler with an unvented cylinder but we don't have the space.

Thanks

Comments

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had a Vaillant 937 and liked it enough to install a 938 in a rental. The 937 threw up a few errors in the first two years, sorted quickly under warranty. 938 trouble free. They certainly throw out hot water, and heated/heat a six/four bed two shower house with no problem. If I had gas at home where I am now, I would install another. I have heard moans from installers about Worcester Bosch in last few years.

The Vaillant tanks can be switched off and bypassed if you wish, which slightly depletes the hot flow rate. With decent cold pressure they can power two good showers simultaneously. They are huge, and need decent wall fixings - and a good strong wall to hang from. Imagine a dishwasher on the wall and you are nearly there with the size!

I would imagine no chance of an electric immersion fitted afterwards. I don't know of any that come with one either. I have always fitted at least one electric shower for a backup. Can't say it's ever been needed though.

The wireless controls supplied with both Vaillants are not the moist intuitive or flexible, so it may pay to discuss alternatives with installer.
  • SuzieSue
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    The Vaillant tanks can be switched off and bypassed if you wish, which slightly depletes the hot flow rate. With decent cold pressure they can power two good showers simultaneously. They are huge, and need decent wall fixings - and a good strong wall to hang from. Imagine a dishwasher on the wall and you are nearly there with the size!

Thanks a lot for your reply. Do they have to be hung or can you stand them on the floor? We currently have a Potterton Powermax HE which is also storage combi which was put in by the builders in an airing cupboard and so would be looking to put it there.

I can't see that any come with an immersion heater either, but I know that the Viessmann Vidtodens range has one which allows you to heat the water using solar energy, so I am surprised that their non-solar product doesn't come with an immersion heater.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a separate megaflo tank thank can work as an immersion in an emergency

All hot water comes from that

Vaillant boiler is not a combi
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • SuzieSue
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    I have a separate megaflo tank thank can work as an immersion in an emergency

All hot water comes from that

Vaillant boiler is not a combi

Thanks yes. That would be the ideal set up, but we don't have the space for a megaflo cylinder as well as a (non-combi) boiler.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have only met them wall mounted. Given the pipework arrangement, they must be so mounted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure