Double Refund From Retailer

Options
I received an email today from a Company to thank me for my recent enquiry and to advise that they had refunded me twice for a product and were giving me 30 days to repay or they would pass over to a debt collection agency. At first I thought this was a scam email but decided to check it out before deleting.
14 months ago I ordered a TV and the company took the payment of £241 and from what I can recall were not able to provide the product for a considerable amount of time despite taking the payment. I complained and got a refund and never received the product. It is now apparent that they refunded me twice but I genuinely didn't notice. I had a lot of expenditure on my credit card that month, more than usual.
Obviously I'm annoyed because the whole experience with this company has been a complete fiasco. Of course I realise I should have noticed. I'm annoyed that the email from them is incorrect by stating I have contacted them, there is no explanation for what has happened or way of an apology. I'm extremely annoyed that they are threatening to pass the debt to a collection agency when this is their error that they haven't noticed for 14 months and this is the first request to obtain the money.
I am planning to respond by saying that whilst this is entirely the fault I accept I should have noticed and I think we both have to take responsibility and offer to pay 50% of the outstanding amount. Do you think this is acceptable or do I just have to pay the full amount to avoid any action.
The reviews on this company are terrible and I wish I'd have checked them out before ordering. Thanks

Comments

• JJG
    JJG Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately the bottom line is you owe the money. They can quite legitimately refuse your offer of half, and if their customer service is as bad as you say, it sounds like they are very likely to refuse. Offer to pay in instalments and see what they say.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Not acceptable, you were paid the money in error and you now need to pay it back. If you cannot afford to pay it back you'll have to ask to make a payment arrangement.

You need to start paying more attention to your statements. If you (apparently) miss a double refund, imagine how much money you could be paying out without your knowledge.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I bet if they took 2 payments you would have noticed straightaway!
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    you owe the money. They have upto 6 years to chase you for it, so even after 14 months they can pass it onto debt collectors
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you had a good or bad experience, you paid once and should receive one payment back - not two.

Sometimes I really wonder what money tree people on here think companies have.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you didn't notice you had been refunded £241 twice, you must be loaded, I'd notice straight away . . . Just pay them it back.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    They will go in heavy-handed with the debt collector threat because you have not paid the money back of your own accord and so there is a high probability that you intended to willingly keep it. So can't blame them for being so up-front about it tbh. I think you'd be the same in their shoes although it would be easier for you in some ways because the company is a more identifiable entity than yourself (ie you can just vanish).

Haha about the "thank you or your recent enquiry" comment! Reminds me of the time I was doing audit checks for an online retailer. Occasionally I'd email customers out of the blue and the template for emails always included that line. I didn't always remember to delete it :o

Anyways, just pay it and be done with it. Or run and hide.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can offer 50% but you owe the whole amount.

If you cannot pay in full, offer say 10 monthly installments.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You owe it so pay it back.

My advice is to notice when you get refunded twice.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DM75 wrote: »
    offer to pay 50% of the outstanding amount. Do you think this is acceptable or do I just have to pay the full amount to avoid any action.

not sure why you think 50% would be acceptable. You have had the benefit of their money for 14 months, pay it back and treat as an interest free loan. Messing about trying to do deals will could result in fees and interest being added
    I have similar with a company too. Ordered something and they took the payment twice. Contacted them to advise and they said they would refund one payment which they did then a few days later refunded the second one. When they wrote to me to advise the error I just phoned them and sorted the payment there and then
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure