Pre-reg car service interval

Options

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    So if it happened that once, it happens everywhere. Beware of mentioning brand names on the internet while accusing them of things. You and the owner of the site could be open to libel.

Dealerships are simply franchises for the brand names, they are not those brands and aside from selling their cars, they do not represent the standards of those manufacturers.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Dealerships are simply franchises for the brand names, they are not those brands and aside from selling their cars, they do not represent the standards of those manufacturers.

Not necessarily. Many dealerships these days are owned by the manufacturer. Some operate under their own name (e.g. Mercedes Retail) and some not (Trust Ford, Robins & Day).
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Authorised main dealers are there precisely to "represent the standards of those manufacturers". Whether they do so or fall short is another discussion.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    marks87 wrote: »
    But that still ignores the fact the car itself was programmed into thinking the first service wasn't due until this month.

Does the car work on date or mileage/condition? I'd assume the latter.

If you get it serviced now (check the handbook for when it's actually meant to be done), then you'll most likely be alright. It's happened now so there's no point in worry about it.
  • marks87
    marks87 Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Does the car work on date or mileage/condition? I'd assume the latter.

It's possible, however it's suspicious that it's reporting a service required exactly a year after I bought it.

Anyway, I'll see what happens on Wednesday. Obviously it's too late to do anything about it, but I don't think it's unreasonable to kick up a stink if Arnold Clark did reset the clock and as a consequence I've missed a service and voided the warranty.

Or, worse, can't demonstrate a full service history when it comes to the end of my PCP deal.
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What car and engine is it?
    What is the recommended service interval?
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Service intervals are usually date or mileage, whichever comes first. Top end cars calculate how hard the car has been working ( e.g. lots of idle wears the engine, but doesn't clock up miles ) ; although that ought to trigger different events at different times, rather than a standard "service".
  • marks87
    marks87 Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What car and engine is it?
    What is the recommended service interval?

Renault Captur 1.5dci.

I was led to believe it's 1yr/18,000 miles.

Regardless, the car displaying the message is enough for me to take it in. Even if I have got it wrong and it's >1yr.
  • khcomp
    khcomp Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options
    Your Renault has a service indicator rather than fixed service indicators: Distance between services varies dependant on time, mileage & driving style. As long as you've taken it in for a service as & when the car has told you to, you're covered.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Every car we have had has been due to be serviced at a set mileage range or after 12 months, whichever comes first.

When the service advice shows is when the mileage reaches the programmed figure. It may be a year or it may be 9 months, depending on use. If the mileage figure is not reached by 12 months since the last service- then a service is due.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure