Options
2»

Comments

• montycat_2
    montycat_2 Posts: 399 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi
    I have always been asked for passport and other forms of Id for opening in branch savings accounts .Even for my children.
    Wouldrather do this than let some b##### launder my money .
  • nilrem_2
    nilrem_2 Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    montycat wrote: »
    Hi

Wouldrather do this than let some b##### launder my money .

Lol, It's not your money they would be 'laundering' ;)
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hey, I jusy opened a HISAVE savings account with ICIC, the application process went really well. filled in application form on line, got a email to post a cheque for the minimum opening balance, and bullseye, all sorted.

unlike the original poster, i have only been at my new home for seven months, and only been with my bank for a year and a half. The banks must do some electronic checking or am i just a lucky bunny!!
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    apples1 wrote: »
    neither do I (it's expired) that's why I used my driving licence instead - which is also accepted. It's not really that difficult. One photocopy of my d. licence & one of my water bill, got them signed by my neighbour and popped them in the post. Job done!
    I assume your neighbour is a bank manager or solicitor?

For the rest of us, who would have to pay someone from one of the professions to certify the documents, it makes a slightly lower-paying account with less picky rules more financially attractive than ICICI. No point earning £5 extra interest if you'repaying £10 to the solicitor.

It's all very well saying the ML rules are getting tighter, but every organisation interprets them differently and ICICI are without doubt the pickiest.
  • apples1
    apples1 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    I assume your neighbour is a bank manager or solicitor?

He's not but the person signing can be...

bank/building society official, solicitor, accountant, commissioner of oaths, justice of the peace, legal secretary, member of parliament, police officer or an officer of the armed services.

I appreciate that if you don't know anyone who does any of these jobs it makes it rather more difficult.
    MTC NMP Membership #62 - made it back to size 12 after my children & I'm staying here!
  • Middle_Sister
    Options
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is ridiculous in this day and age. I'm going to pass. This is what they want.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Required Documents : [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Certified photocopy of the current passport or full UK driving license as an identity proof. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Certified photocopy of a utility bill (less than 3 months old) or bank statement (less than 3 months old) as address proof. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These documents must be certified by any bank/building society official, solicitor, accountant, commissioner of oaths, justice of the peace, legal secretary, member of parliament, police officer or an officer of the armed services.

To certify the documents, the certifier must write on the copy they are certifying:

1. "Original seen" or "Certified true copy of the original"
    2. Name and signature of the certifier.
    3. Occupation/status/qualification to certify
    4. Date of certification
    5. Business stamp if the certifier have one
    6. Details of how the certifier can be contacted if needed e.g. telephone number and address

We await these documents to proceed with your account opening.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Its not on.

[/FONT]
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lesleyfb wrote: »
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is ridiculous in this day and age. I'm going to pass. This is what they want.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Required Documents : [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Certified photocopy of the current passport or full UK driving license as an identity proof. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Certified photocopy of a utility bill (less than 3 months old) or bank statement (less than 3 months old) as address proof. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These documents must be certified by any bank/building society official, solicitor, accountant, commissioner of oaths, justice of the peace, legal secretary, member of parliament, police officer or an officer of the armed services.

To certify the documents, the certifier must write on the copy they are certifying:

1. "Original seen" or "Certified true copy of the original"
    2. Name and signature of the certifier.
    3. Occupation/status/qualification to certify
    4. Date of certification
    5. Business stamp if the certifier have one
    6. Details of how the certifier can be contacted if needed e.g. telephone number and address

We await these documents to proceed with your account opening.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Its not on.

[/FONT]
    Why not? Confirming your identify is generally quite important to people who are going to be looking after a lot of money for you without ever seeing you in person.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • ukdutypaid
    Options
    God I can't remember what I did when I opened mine, but it certainly wasn't any of that, although all that lot ain't perculiar to ICICI...

Hell, you could always just phone 'em up... you will have bills, credit ref, electoral roll, etc...
    UK phone number and uk branches....
  • wombat42_2
    wombat42_2 Posts: 1,312 Forumite
    Options
    ukdutypaid wrote: »
    God I can't remember what I did when I opened mine, but it certainly wasn't any of that, although all that lot ain't perculiar to ICICI...

Hell, you could always just phone 'em up... you will have bills, credit ref, electoral roll, etc...
    UK phone number and uk branches....

I didnt have to provide proof of ID. I think they scan your application for securty clearnce and only ask for ID in certain circumstances.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure