Stopping crazy dad taking out more credit cards

Options
Evening everyone,

I posted on here a couple of years ago about my father (now 73), who has recently been diagnosed with vascular dementia. He'd built up £13k in credit card debt, which I'm pleased to say with my help (and the great suggestions of the folk on here), he paid off by the end of last year. He's a retired headteacher with £2,800 in monthly pension income and no mortgage (loaded then), but he had an insatiable Internet shopping habit. He loves buying tat online!

The trouble is, as some forum members predicted a couple of years ago, the old fool doesn't seem to have learned anything from this experience. Because I helped him out of a hole, switching his shocking 25 per cent CCs (he had a really bad credit record) to zero per cent CCs in my name, his record suddenly improved drastically. That allowed him to take out a couple more cards on the sly, and he's built up another £3,500 buying more rubbish. Sadly, I've also discovered he's a deceitful so and so during this whole experience!

The reason for my post is to ask if there's any way of sticking a strike on his record across all the credit agencies to prevent him taking out more cards. I have Enduring Power of Attorney, and have pretty much taken control of his bank account; it must be worth something with regards to his credit record as well. I've got in touch with CIFAS today; we'll see what they have to say. Don't know if anyone on here has any ideas, so any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks in advance, Stuart

Comments

• A4445
    A4445 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry to here of your situation must be very stressful for you.

I believe even with power of attorney you dad is still free to control his own finances. I think you would have to go down the route of court of protection, it would mean the individual isn't able to look after their own affairs and the court would appoint a person to make decisions.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than myself may have further suggestions.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    !!!!_neck wrote: »
    I've got in touch with CIFAS today; we'll see what they have to say.

As you have a PoA, you could set up CIFAS protective registration.
    See : https://www.cifas.org.uk/services/identity-protection/protective-registration

It's really for protection against fraud, but I guess you could argue that your father's condition increases the risk of him being defrauded.

It should stop some 'automatic approvals' for credit, but it's not a guarantee that no credit will be offered.

Adding 'notices of correction' to his files with the credit reference agencies might have a similar effect.

This guy has added a notice of correction saying that only credit applications with a thumb print should be accepted: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/sep/23/foolproof-way-to-stop-id-fraud-credit-file-thumbprint

Maybe you could try saying that only applications countersigned by you should be accepted.
  • Sarastro
    Sarastro Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think the credit card providers / banks are going to be much help; unless you can switch his account to one that doesn't allow him to spend more than he has or a limit per day. But as you say he'll just open another one.

You could look at the protection route; does he have a social worker? If not, speak to Adult Services and ask for an assessment (you're legally entitled to it, don't be fobbed off) for his capacity. They will want him to be living independently for as long as possible and you may find they have some suggestions.

Although it doesn't sound like his capacity is compromised particularly. In which case, I'd tackle the shopping problem: there are low level mental health interventions available to help with shopping addictions, etc - your GP should be able to point you in the right direction or give you a referral to secondary mental health providers. If the NHS doesn't have a suitable service in your area, I'd look to Charities and Dementia support organisations.

Any idea what's driving the habit? Could be another aspect to tackle - boredom, loneliness, loss of control, etc?
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ‘Crazy dad’ ‘Old fool’ ‘Deceitful so and so’
    The poor man has vascular dementia.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ‘Crazy dad’ ‘Old fool’ ‘Deceitful so and so’
    The poor man has vascular dementia.

I don't detect any malice in the way OP used those descriptions.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Options
    MEM62 wrote: »
    I don't detect any malice in the way OP used those descriptions.
    Maybe not. Maybe me being a bit touchy about the subject.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • Destabilising
    Options
    He has vascular dementia. Unfortunately, it's only going to deteriorate which could end up with him ending up in an even worse financial situation. Where you have PoA, it may be worth putting a NoC on his credit file, or even sending in a copy of the PoA to the credit card companies he has taken cards out with and ask them to freeze the cards. I wouldn't normally suggest this, but get a copy of his credit report, double check he's only taken out cards with the companies you know about.

Work with the creditors. I understand it's distressing and it can be a tough situation to be in, but the worst thing to do right now is see it as 'the beginning of the void' situation. In this sort of case I'd imagine they'd be more than happy to go through it all.
  • alk29
    alk29 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It may be worth speaking to his Doctor.

My father also had vascular dementia and one of the first obvious symptoms was obsessive and / or compulsive behaviour. So it could be that the dementia is one of the reasons behind his buying / credit card spending.

If there is a medical reason then the doctor (or the social worker or the Older persons mental health team) should be able to let you know what steps can be taken with finance companies to help protect your father.
  • arse_neck
    Options
    No malice meant at all. And apologies if anyone has taken offence.

My Dad has always been crazy with money; the dementia seems to have magnified this, and I guess I’m struggling to get my head round it, because it just makes no sense to me. But as you say, he has dementia and I guess logic goes out of the window a bit.

CIFAS has got back to me and suggested its Protecting the Vulnerable service as an option to prevent him taking out any more credit.

In the meantime, many thanks for your help everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure