Nat west debit card limit for NS&I!

Options

Comments

• nilrem_2
    nilrem_2 Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That isn't the information on their website which suggest a payment of £10,000 is possible.
    https://supportcentre.natwest.com/Searchable/913250422/Why-has-my-debit-card-payment-to-my-credit-card-failed.htm
    Obviously NatWest staff sing from a different hymn sheet! In the morning I was told of the £2000 limit using a debit card to pay financial institutions. In the evening I was told that limit only applied when using the card to pay off a credit card debt. But as AirlieBird points out NatWests site suggests £10,000.

Given that the first person I spoke to had not heard of National savings and Investments I am not surprised.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can't you top up via Faster Payment or an old fashioned cheque?
  • nilrem_2
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Can't you top up via Faster Payment or an old fashioned cheque?

As I mentioned earlier You cannot add to the bonds or open then add, you have to buy and pay, any additional amounts mean a new bond. They also demand payment via Debit card, however they did say that in exceptional circumstances they will send a form and you can send a cheque but it can take 2 weeks.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NS&I also have a debit card limit of £99,999.99 even though the account limit is £1m
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    nilrem wrote: »
    Obviously NatWest staff sing from a different hymn sheet! In the morning I was told of the £2000 limit using a debit card to pay financial institutions. In the evening I was told that limit only applied when using the card to pay off a credit card debt. But as AirlieBird points out NatWests site suggests £10,000.

Minutes ago I successfully made a debit card payment to my Amex cashback credit card of nearly £4k (I paid for a course, work just paid me back), so what you are being told about a £2000 limit is definitely wrong
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
  • Tom99
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A bank might give you a temporary increase in the debit card daily limit if you contact them over the phone.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I am with Halifax and that worked for me when the debit to NS&I failed and I rang the fraud number given when the payment failed. The temporary increase lasted 1 hour.[/FONT]
  • nilrem_2
    Options
    Tom99 wrote: »
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]A bank might give you a temporary increase in the debit card daily limit if you contact them over the phone.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I am with Halifax and that worked for me when the debit to NS&I failed and I rang the fraud number given when the payment failed. The temporary increase lasted 1 hour.[/FONT]
    I was told that it wasn't possible to do this, although considering the wrong info I was given initially who knows?
  • Tom99
    Options
    nilrem wrote: »
    I was told that it wasn't possible to do this, although considering the wrong info I was given initially who knows?

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It worked for me yesterday and a friend of mine did the same with Halifax today who gave a temporary increase in the debit card limit to £100k.[/FONT]
  • capital0ne
    Options
    I have no trouble using my NatWest DEBIT CARD to fund my share dealing account with £3k on a regular basis.

Make sure you are using your debit card and it has been registered to be verified by Visa Debit.

Are you using a new card?
  • nilrem_2
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »
    I have no trouble using my NatWest DEBIT CARD to fund my share dealing account with £3k on a regular basis.
    Make sure you are using your debit card and it has been registered to be verified by Visa Debit.
    Are you using a new card?
    Thanks for your reply, forgive me if I am wrong but did you read my update? Paying £3k per day via a Natwest debit card is not a problem, I was given wrong info by a Natwest employee on their helpline, I was later told to try up to £20K which did go through ok but they also said I could not give them prior notice to transfer larger amounts. :)

FWIW i have had the card for many years and it is verified.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure