Dropped Kerb Application Refused..

Options
Hi All,

I have just moved into a traditional terraced house in a close with your usual on-street parking affair going on outside the front. I am right at the end of the close so the road terminates on my property boundary (i.e. no Pavement, just a kerb). The Close has two bays enough for only six cars in total with one bay permanently taken by one household.

However, the front of my property has plenty of space for two vehicles, but I have a particular Neighbour that instants on parking in-front there and then tends to call her friend from the opposite Close to park in-front of the property (even when the bays are free) so as to reserve the space for either her or her partner when she goes out, this leaves us without parking in some cases. They have been very cold to us from the day we moved in dispute us doing the neighbourly thing of introducing ourselves around the close. We have only been here less than a month and currently there is no dialog with these particular neighbours.

I applied to the County council to grant permission to install a dropped kerb outside my property, however, it was turned down as the proposed area was deemed smaller than the minimum required size for off-road parking (by 0.5m) despite the opposite neighbour having the exact proposed drive. I have appealed twice and they are still standing by their decision.

1) Is there a way I can appeal further up in the chain of command? as the guy I was taking to was the same person receiving the appeal.

2) Get some local contractor to install a dropped kerb without council permission, they never bothered to check the first time round I applied it was only on appeal that the guy came out as I challenged for the measurements they took. Could this end badly?

3) Can I put a kerb rump and tell people not to park in front of the house?

Any ideas or experiences?

Comments

• WYSPECIAL
    WYSPECIAL Posts: 648 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 March 2017 at 11:46PM
    Options
    Having a dropped kerb won't automatically stop people from parking there. Depends where you live as to whether or not it is an offence
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    1) Ask the council what your options for appealing are.

2) Don't. First of all it's not the right thing to do. Secondly, if you suspect certain neighbours have taken a disliking to you, it's possible that they'll object to your move (because it's depriving them of a space they use lawfully) and inform the council. The council could then reinstate the original kerb and bill you for the work. You can be sure it won't be a couple of hundred quid...

3) What's a kerb rump? Whatever it is, you don't have the authority to tell people where they can and cannot park.

I'd suggest the appeal route but if that's not possible, you're a bit stuck, unless you're prepared to play the same sort of games your neighbours play.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the space is too small then there is little chance of ever appealing it, the highways/roads won't deviate from minimum space dimensions - if the guy across the road has the same sized space and an approved dropped kerb it's likely that his parking space was approved a number of years ago
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the_r_sole wrote: »
    if the guy across the road has the same sized space and an approved dropped kerb it's likely that his parking space was approved a number of years ago
    or not at all

You'll have to change your plans to meet their minimum requirements.
    Or contact your councillor for advice if you think the rules are silly
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could try the local press. A house in this area was repeatedly refused permission for a dropped kerb because it was a main road (all neighbours had one). There was a lot of fuss in the local press, and eventually he got permission.
  • T3RRY
    T3RRY Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    or not at all

You'll have to change your plans to meet their minimum requirements.
    Or contact your councillor for advice if you think the rules are silly

Just wanted to say a quick thank you for all your advise..

Constantly wrote to them to explain how allowing us to drop the kerb would affect the area looking that the people opposite us had a dropped kerb.

Had to change the plans and Finally got it approved :T
  • Russ1878
    Options
    Hi, can I ask what you mean by ‘changing plans’ in order to get your application approved? I’m having a nightmare with a similar situation, my front garden isn’t 5 meters from house to front wall, so hoping there’s a way around it?
    Cheers
    Russ
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,927 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Russ - Terry hasnt posted for 6 months so don't hold your breath. However if you right click on his name and check his other posts he has another thread about how getting the curb dropped turned out for him (which I haven't read fully but doesn't look like it was a walk in the park)
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Russ1878
    Options
    Hi Mark, thanks for that! Much appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income