We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Quick question - compost heap

Options
Hoploz
Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
We have just moved to a large woodland garden and I am a novice at composting!

We have a ton of grass cuttings. Also a ton of leaves. Should we mix it all on one heap, or divide it separately?

We also have other waste of course but I think it's best to remove spiky brambles etc from site altogether and try and keep chestnuts out of the heap ... Am I on the right tracks?

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=444

Make leaf mould with the leaves - they take longer to break down than other compost ingredients.

Grass cuttings need other materials or you will end up with a horrible smelly mush.

If you have (or borrow or hire) a garden shredder, you can chop up brambles and so on and then add the chips to the compost.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you need a mix of greens and browns for compost. Its best to have a few heaps, one where you mix together eg food waste, cardboard plus *some* grass and leaves and then collect the bulk of leaves and grass cuttings elsewhere
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    Right, I have put a massive load of leaves on the heap that we'd put grass on, to mix it up a bit. Hubby will have to mix it all in. I've got enough leaves to sink a battleship, so will prob make some separate leaf stuff as well :)

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, it's all new to me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure