PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    dreaming wrote: »
    This reminds me of the "Protect and Survive" leaflets the council had to distribute in the 70s when we were all fearful of nuclear attack.

Ah yes. Be sure to brush all the fallout off your clothes before entering the house, and so forth. I think I've still got one tucked away somewhere, but no doubt you can download 'em off the interweb if in need of a chuckle.

The reality of the situation was the same then as it is now: just about all you can usefully do is hope for a direct hit ...
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That they ask you to pay for the paper version but the download is free has my teeth gritted... Authors named but "joint between NHS & Military" - nope, MiniTrue all the way.
    I've no quarrel with Run Hide & Tell as an informed response to nutter with weapon, but adding first aid?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    ..and, for those that didn't see "that" leaflet (aka book of bad taste jokes) first time round.....ladies and gentlemen for your delectation and delight (and because you need a good laugh) - the one/the only Government "Protect and Survive" leaflet they issued

www.atomica.co.uk/main.htm

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Very funny, no use at all that leaflet.

And preppers, tinned food does not keep forever. I forgot about a tin of tomato soup (3 years) and today it exploded as I opened the cupboard where my supplies are. Oh, the mess, although it did mean I finally got around to sorting the cupboard.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • HoneyBee83
    HoneyBee83 Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    Evening everyone,

I am freezing! Under my blanket with my hot water bottle watching Harry Potter with DD. Lovely salmon for tea with potatoes, carrots, broccoli and spinach and a parsley sauce.

I'm after some advice, DD father is moving in with his girlfriend and her kids, would that affect my child support payments from him? I'm not sure how that situation is viewed. I know if I moved in with someone new that the payment would at least go down but unsure of the other way around.
    If so then I am going to be tightening my belt even more!
    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Right time to get on with the film.
    Have lovely evenings everyone xx
    Emergency Savings #73 = £1,500/£2,000
    Savings Pot £1,440.00
    Xmas 2018=£100/£300 Australia =£0.00/6000
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :eek: Tourniquets in the hands of amateurs is a scary thought. But if you've got a severed artery, you've only got a minute or so before someone bleeds out so, it that case, even jamming your fist or your knee into the wound would be better than dodging the sprays of arterial blood as the pour soul bleeds out in front of you. Sometimes, first aid, imperfect though it be, is the only thing available fast enough.

My mother was giving first aid to a neighbour after a heart attack, whilst the proper emergency people were on their way. The GP took over CPR, told her she was doing it properly and not to worry about the rib she'd busted. If someone survives a heart attack, a busted rib is a big fat nothing. If they don't, it's totally irrelevent.

I was living in eastern Scotlandshire in the 1980s when Chernobyl happened. Advice from officialdom included not going out in the rain (came with fallout added) and not to drink the milk because it was radioactive. I was a vegetablarian at the time so the glow-in-the-dark lamb was a non-issue for me.

Interesting times.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone see this film at school? I'm amazed to see it was made in 1951, but I think I saw it in the 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFT8hLjHtuE
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was sent to bed rather than stay up to watch Threads (bomb scene here) but then my father was a nuc scientist & wanted to be able to scream at the TV with relative impunity.
    As far as Chernobyl was concerned, he did the maths & bought in lamb. Then got borrowed by the French to assemble a containment bid (an Awful Lot of Concrete, as far as I could see), written in English, French & Russian.

As for CPR, give it all you can, and gasp the 'how to' to any observers, so you can swap in & out. Absolutely worry not about a rib or seven - if the circulation stops, the brain has very few seconds leeway & after that, all recovery is a *relative* term. If you'd rather not do the rescue breaths, not a problem , but in the name of any gods [et alia] you venerate, hammer the ribcage.
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    Freezing cold here too, and heating on the blink at work so walking around there like nanook of the north.

Worried about the bird flu restrictions until 28th Feb - that would be 3 months on the same bit of ground - not healthy - so going to clear out the shed at the weekend and move my 2 into their. Am hoping if I put tarp down and weigh it, and then sawdust on top, I'll be able to preserve the integrity of the (wooden) shed - fingers crossed!!! It has a greenhouse/window along one side, and a half door, so hopefully they will stay healthy in there.

Am working slightly longer hours at the mo, so going to look through my slow cooker book for things I can put on in the morning before I head out - give us something warming and nutritious to come home too.

keep warm everyone, WCS
  • Live_laugh_love
    Options
    Hello!! Long time lurker, occasional poster!!
    Feeling a bit morbid as a friends stepdad has died suddenly and unexpectedly which has me casting nervous eyes at mine and hubbys elderly parents. Is there anything I can do to prepare for the eventuality without me feeling like a !!!!! or shall I just hope that Google will be my friend and help me when it happens?!
    Apart from knowing they have wills and power of attorneys sorted, I'm a bit clueless!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure