Undercharged by card, then manual payment taken for balance without me being there.

Options
I booked into a hostel yesterday for a holiday and was charged at reception, I being sleepy glanced at the amount and typed in pin.

I find out later they only charged me for 1st night stay and not night 2 and 3 and today put through a transaction for seperate amount.

Now the point here is I never authorised the 2nd transaction so they must of kept my card details and put it through manually without me putting in pin.

This doesn't feel right, I don't mind paying correct amount but if they can do that it means in future theres nothing stopping them doing it again.

So im checking if they had legal power to do this without asking me first (which I would of happily paid)

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, for up to 6 months. (Obviously only what you originally agreed to pay, and you did, so hooray)
  • wildarmor
    wildarmor Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Well I may of been overcharged by £3-£5 which was a deposit I made but until it shows on my online banking I won't be 100% sure.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Have"!!!!!
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    wildarmor wrote: »
    Well I may of been overcharged by £3-£5 which was a deposit I made but until it shows on my online banking I won't be 100% sure.

well don't worry about it until you are sure.

Deposits are usually holds on cards and drop off when the actual charge is processed.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wildarmor wrote: »
    I booked into a hostel yesterday for a holiday and was charged at reception, I being sleepy glanced at the amount and typed in pin.

I find out later they only charged me for 1st night stay and not night 2 and 3 and today put through a transaction for seperate amount.

Now the point here is I never authorised the 2nd transaction so they must of kept my card details and put it through manually without me putting in pin.

This doesn't feel right, I don't mind paying correct amount but if they can do that it means in future theres nothing stopping them doing it again.

So im checking if they had legal power to do this without asking me first (which I would of happily paid)

Is it a surfing holiday?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport