Car went into the back of me, what can I claim?

Options

Comments

• Potbellypig
    Potbellypig Posts: 775 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whiplash..
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What you need to do is the following.

Speak to their insurers and tell them you want to make a "Full and Final Settlement" for the accident.

Tell them you think the car is worth over £2000 due to the amount of work etc you have done. I would avoid threatening whiplash but if you are genuinely looking to get a fair settlement they should jump at the above figure.

I should point out I have used this route on two other occasions as like yourself with old cars with big investment of time and money its the only way to get fairly reimbursed.

please note you will not be able to come back later for whiplash or expenses.

Most insurance companies will jump at the chance to close a rear end accident of this nature so cheaply.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »

If you can prove it. Which, honestly, you can't.

Wouldn't it easily be proved? quotes with and without the accident?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    caprikid1 wrote: »
    Tell them you think the car is worth over £2000 due to the amount of work etc you have done.
    Then wonder why they laugh at you before putting the phone down until you've sobered up a bit.
    I would avoid threatening whiplash
    Does the OP have whiplash? I mean, there's a whole raft of different ways you could fraudulently try to ramp the claim, not just non-existent whiplash...
  • caprikid1
    Options
    "Does the OP have whiplash? I mean, there's a whole raft of different ways you could fraudulently try to ramp the claim, not just non-existent whiplash... "

I am not suggesting any fraud, I am suggesting a straight and simple offer of settlement for the accident. That is what a full and final agreement is. It is to cover the losses suffered whatever they.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    "Does the OP have whiplash? I mean, there's a whole raft of different ways you could fraudulently try to ramp the claim, not just non-existent whiplash... "

I am not suggesting any fraud, I am suggesting a straight and simple offer of settlement for the accident. That is what a full and final agreement is. It is to cover the losses suffered whatever they.
    Great - so we're all agreed that if the OP really does have whiplash, then they're due compensation for that, but if they don't, then it shouldn't even be mentioned. And all they're due is the pre-collision value of their £1k 20-25yo BMW.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Options
    nubbz wrote: »
    My thinking is even if I contest the payoff for say like 2-3 weeks they may just offer me more for the car as the car is worth only about £1000 and it will probably cost them £400+ a week for them to hire me a car.

I was under the impression that you only get a courtesy car until it is written off for this exact reason. So you agree to a price quickly.
  • caprikid1
    Options
    "Great - so we're all agreed that if the OP really does have whiplash, then they're due compensation for that, but if they don't, then it shouldn't even be mentioned. And all they're due is the pre-collision value of their £1k 20-25yo BMW. "

If that's what you are happy with then fine, personally if someone trashes my pride and joy through not paying attention not sure why I should tolerate some desk jockey looking an outdated glasses guide that has no ability to assess the value of a car over 10 years old where condition , miles and service history can make a enormous difference in value and resale value. Sorry but when dealing with insurance claims on old cars and the fraudulent way insurance companies act you have little option but to use every option available to put yourself in the same pre accident position.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    Options
    "Great - so we're all agreed that if the OP really does have whiplash, then they're due compensation for that, but if they don't, then it shouldn't even be mentioned. And all they're due is the pre-collision value of their £1k 20-25yo BMW. "

If that's what you are happy with then fine, personally if someone trashes my pride and joy through not paying attention not sure why I should tolerate some desk jockey looking an outdated glasses guide that has no ability to assess the value of a car over 10 years old where condition , miles and service history can make a enormous difference in value and resale value. Sorry but when dealing with insurance claims on old cars and the fraudulent way insurance companies act you have little option but to use every option available to put yourself in the same pre accident position.

The OP paid £1,000 for the car some time ago. It will be very difficult to persuade anyone that it has appreciated in value since then - the reverse is normally the case. As people have already pointed out, the money he has spent on tyres, brakes, etc. merely maintained its value: it would have been worth less with bald tyres and no brakes.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...you have little option but to use every option available to put yourself in the same pre accident position.

Which non-fraudulent options are you thinking of?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure