Spam

Options
missile
missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
How do spammers spoof my e mail address and how can I block their s...t from my Hotmail account :beer:
"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Get a Gmail address
    Hotmail is easily spoofed
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Right click each spam email as they arrive, separately. From the list, click "Mark as Junk."

Go to Junk. Check the box at the right of the junked email.

At the top, select "Block" and click it. You receive a message: "Block all emails from (email address)?". Click "OK".

Keep doing this with all the Spam messages you get and they will gradually stop.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    How do spammers spoof my e mail address and how can I block their s...t from my Hotmail account :beer:

Anyone can spoof any email address when sending, it's trivial to do with knowledge of the protocol, and indeed most MUAs will let you do it as well.

Email was never designed as a system that allowed the sender to be verified.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • missile
    edited 5 October 2017 at 7:38PM
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    Right click each spam email as they arrive, separately. From the list, click "Mark as Junk."

Go to Junk. Check the box at the right of the junked email.

At the top, select "Block" and click it. You receive a message: "Block all emails from (email address)?". Click "OK".

Keep doing this with all the Spam messages you get and they will gradually stop.

Thx but I already do that.

I know they can spoof so it appears that the spam is from another address. What I don't understand is how they personalise a spoof to be from my own e mail address? I cannot block my own address.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

I know they can spoof so it appears that the spam is from another address. What I don't understand is how they personalise a spoof to be from my own e mail address? I cannot block my own address.

Its easy.
    As you already know, they can spoof another email address, so with a simple bit of code then can enter their sender address = recipient address.

You could create a mail rule that sends anything where "sender contains<your name>" to the spam folder?
  • missile
    Options
    Thanks for your comments.

The spam already goes to junk. I have settings so only e mails from those on my address book go to inbox. I was hoping to find a way to block them.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

You can block your own email address, not an issue unless you email yourself.

The issue with a lot of email progs is that they all want to be super friendly and know everything about you, so your email address is not important they want your real name. So emails appear from Real Name instead of abfhfghfedhd4545454@ajhsgdsggd777554.com.
    So the email you receive says a name or a company and you think its safe but when you check the real senders address its some spammy one.

I use thunderbird and it needs a plugin to show the real senders address, how stupid is that?

If it didnt have that plugin i would not use it. How can they think hiding a senders real email address is sensible?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• missile
    Options
    You can block your own email address, not an issue unless you email yourself. .....
    No that does not work
  • dwtbath
    Options
    It is possible to verify sending to stop spoofing if you are working with systems such as Microsoft Exchamge server but not with personal emails such as gmail or Yahoo
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    "Change your email address" will work for a time, until the spammers get hold of the new one...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure