Win 8.1 SD Card Not Detected

Options
Hi,

I have a Win 8.1 desktop with SD card reader, this was working fine but it stopped working a few months ago and I really need to fix it now.

I can see the "Removeable Disk (F)" icon in the This PC window but it is always showing, even if no card is present, I am not sure if that is the usual behaviour.

If I put a card in, it says I need to format the card first, but the card is already formatted and has files on it.

I have tried several cards, all the same, they can be viewed in other devices.

I *think* this behaviour started around the time I installed some Elgato software to do video captures, I have uninstalled this software but no joy.

Please help, this is driving me mad!

Done a fair bit of Googling to no avail.
Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108

Comments

• kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Is this a built in card reader? Not all readers support the SDHC cards (over 4GB).

Pound shops carry USB card readers.
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes it's built in, the card reader was working fine with the cards I have as I copied stuff onto them from the PC HD a few months ago.

Will try the USB reader option, thanks for the idea.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    I've had a built in reader fail for no obvious reason in the past. From memory it isn't normal to see any removable disk unless a card is plugged in - certainly with my USB reader I don't.
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yeah I think you're right, the icon didn't used to show unless a card was inserted. So that sounds like a hardware issue then?

I'll get the USB SD adaptor soon and try that, will report back.

Thanks again.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Card reader vary, mine has 7 different slots and all show in Windows whether there is a card inserted or not.

It might be you have dirty contacts, try some contact cleaner on an SD card and insert it a few times (with the PC off).
    If you don't have contact cleaner, try a drop of WD40 (but NOT too much).
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't use WD40 on any contacts. It leaves an oily residue that can make the contact worse.

Try starting the PC with the card in.
    Try vacuuming out the card slot.
    Try giving the card a wiggle in the slot and see if it detects for a second or two.
    Then try contact cleaner as a last physical resort.

After that you are looking at either reinstalling the OS or a new card reader. Or use another device to transfer data to a flash drive and then onto the PC, abandoning the card reader.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    I've had a built in reader fail for no obvious reason in the past. From memory it isn't normal to see any removable disk unless a card is plugged in - certainly with my USB reader I don't.
    Yes, but if its build in then it will show as it will be connected via SATA leads.

OP check and see if all the leads are still connected or if they have not broken, i have has a few that break at the connections for no reason. if the card is read in a USB card reader then you may need to replace the internal card reader ( which is an easy job)
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    try a drop of WD40 (but NOT too much).
    NEVER use WD40 it will damage the drive.
    while at poundshop for the USB reader pick up a can of compressed air and use this on the contacts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure