Missing childrens Halifax accounts

Hi,

Last weekend I rang the Halifax as both of my nieces Children savings accounts were not available to view online. They stated they were having technical problems and had to remove all the childrens accounts but this should be fixed by Wednesday.

Checked again today Friday and still not showing. Rang Halifax they apologise and advise they cannot give me a date when I see the accounts but assure me the money is still there!

But I am worried.

Has anyone else got this problem?

Comments

• opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Why are you worried?

Accounts can exist without online access?
  • icedjem
    icedjem Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    opinions4u wrote: »
    Why are you worried?

Accounts can exist without online access?

Yes accounts can exist without online access, but when you bank online and have not seen your 2 accounts for 10 days it is concerning.

I have saved hard to put some money away for my niece, which has been difficult at times, I do not earn much. But want to give her a good start in life and not have mountain of debt at Uni.

If anyone has had the same problem can they let me know what the Halifax has advised you?

Thank you
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,331 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If anyone has had the same problem can they let me know what the Halifax has advised you?
    See
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4092017
  • SoloSailor
    SoloSailor Posts: 65 Forumite
    We rang up Halifax in the week as both our childrens ex regular saver now young saver accounts had dissappeared from the onlineview. They told us that there has been a change of policy and that they are not allowing childrens accounts to be viewed online anymore. Do they no what they are doing?
  • Hardwick5
    Hardwick5 Posts: 5 Forumite
    We have had a similar experience with Halifax this week;

Accounts disappeared - telephoned Halifax to be informed there was a system glitch but accounts are still there and they were working to solve problem in next few days. Accounts still not there 5 days later - telephoned again but now informed they had been removed offline, when asked why we were not notified of this action, informed Halifax didn't have to tell us! What is the point of having online accounts to manage when they then take the decision to remove them and expect you to make the inconvenient journey into a branch. Talk about arrogant insensitive bankers and I thought the Halifax was part owned by the populace as we had to bail them out!!! Will be moving accounts from Halifax. This is what happens when they become too big and corporate, customer service deteriorates.
  • emeraldbugle
    emeraldbugle Posts: 1,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Same problem.

I've had these accounts for at least 6/7 years. I have always been able to view them online. Also been able to phone and ask them to transfer to the connecting save4it account over the phone.

All of these features are now branch based. Why penalise children's accounts in this way?

I have raised a complaint, all I actually want to be able to do is view and transfer the money, either over the phone or via the internet. I do not want to get in my car, drive into town, pay for parking, go into a branch and say 'what is my balance?' and then go home.

I've had a response to my complaint, they have also written to me with the children's account balances and the interest rates. Now I am worried as the letter says the Kids Regular Savers are 0%. I am hoping once the next credit goes in the rate is corrected, as I reapplied for the 6% at the end of June.

I suggest you all raise a complaint, even if we can use the phone it is better than going to the nearest branch.

They have given me £25 as an apology, but I am looking at closing the accounts. Hmmm maybe that is what they want.
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 July 2012 at 11:34AM
    These kids accounts are getting to be hard work! Grandson is 6, his sister is 2, we have had the regular savers for them both since they were born. They always were branch based accounts, which was not a problem, as you could view them on your internet banking.

Then last year they moved to the Lloyds system and at the same time all our HBOS branches in Scotland became Bank of Scotland only. These can service Halifax accounts, but not open them.

So we had to wait till we were on holiday in England to restart their RSs, I was told they would not appear on my internet banking as the accounts are now opened with the child's name first.

I am presuming I will be able to withdraw the cash at our BOS branch once the accounts mature. I am going to be pretty mad if they expect me to travel to England to withdraw the money!!

I can still see the balances in their old Save4It accounts on my internet banking.

I did complain last year at the loss of these RS accounts in Scotland, BOS do not have an equivalent, and got some woolly reply that completely missed the point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure