Release pension cash

Options

Comments

• DAVEJHALL
    Options
    Thanks for the reply Linton.
    I should have been clearer; the DB pension is provided by my current employer and I hope to retire with it in 10yrs time......It isn't going to be touched before that. Unless I pay some AVCs into it, which is a different question.

Does anyone have thoughts on a "3% of pension pot" fee for an IFA?
    Works out around £7k in my case... :( sounds a lot of money ... Although I understand the responsibility they take on and it's probably a similar fee to buy/sell a house ...
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    DAVEJHALL wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Linton.
    I should have been clearer; the DB pension is provided by my current employer and I hope to retire with it in 10yrs time......It isn't going to be touched before that. Unless I pay some AVCs into it, which is a different question.

Does anyone have thoughts on a "3% of pension pot" fee for an IFA?
    Works out around £7k in my case... :( sounds a lot of money ... Although I understand the responsibility they take on and it's probably a similar fee to buy/sell a house ...

You said one of the 4 "frozen" pensions is final salary as well as your current one. FS=DB.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    7K is high, how large is the total pot?
  • Rymo_2
    Rymo_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    7K is an enormous amount, shop around, speak to other IFAs to get an idea what they will charge.

You should be paying for the actual work done

I struggle with how a percentage fee can be charged post RDR. I know firms and individuals do but it flies in the face of the RDR to me. Surely a straightforward fee for the work involved?

Would you accept a plumber charging £30 to replace a tap washer if you lived in a one up one down terrace but £1500 if you lived in a 6 bedroom detached?

I know it's not quite that simple but it's also not that far off.

Shop around!
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you do need to factor in in this case (not the house one) that larger pots carry more risk for the IFA, so a small upload for higher amts of liability would correct for this.

But not to the rates quoted.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,402 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Rymo wrote: »
    7K is an enormous amount, shop around, speak to other IFAs to get an idea what they will charge.

Would agree on the charge being excessive and you should certainly ask a few other IFAs.
    Would you accept a plumber charging £30 to replace a tap washer if you lived in a one up one down terrace but £1500 if you lived in a 6 bedroom detached?

With the same analogy - if you were the plumber who was liable for life for any damage done through botched work, would you rather take on that liability for the one up one down terrace, or the 6 bedroom detached?

Would you be content to charge the same for both jobs then?
  • mania112
    mania112 Posts: 1,981 Forumite
    Options
    leebass wrote: »
    Hey,

I've recently lost all wares - it's a long story - so currently relocating and starting off anew, completely. I understand the implications of having no pension to fall back on etc but all the same, I'll tell you my details:

I worked for a borough council, at the time Government run before privatisation took over, I remained in that role for 3 years and haven't paid into a pension scheme since. As far as early withdrawal goes, it would greatly assist me in life right about now, I'd like to go for my C class license for a start so....is there a decent, legitimate way to do this?

Not unless you are over 55.
  • Rymo_2
    Rymo_2 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Hi jem 16,

Whilst I see where you might be coming from I'm not aware of any liability cover that will protect you if you have carried out negligent or botched work.

If you botch a job or are negligent I think you are pretty much on your own no matter what protection (insurance etc) you may think you have.

This is taking us aside, my point was that the fees should represent fair value for the work carried out and not just a figure plucked from thin air. I thought this was part of the essence of the RDR.

I would advise anyone dealing with IFAs or other professionals / tradesmen for that matter to get several quotes or a personal recommendation from someone you trust.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rymo wrote: »
    Hi jem 16,

Whilst I see where you might be coming from I'm not aware of any liability cover that will protect you if you have carried out negligent or botched work.

If you botch a job or are negligent I think you are pretty much on your own no matter what protection (insurance etc) you may think you have.

This is taking us aside, my point was that the fees should represent fair value for the work carried out and not just a figure plucked from thin air. I thought this was part of the essence of the RDR.

I would advise anyone dealing with IFAs or other professionals / tradesmen for that matter to get several quotes or a personal recommendation from someone you trust.

No, professional indemnity insurance is precisely for cases where someone giving professional advice has acted negligently or provided wrong advice.
  • chocca
    chocca Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I assume I'm being thicker than condensed milk, but, here goes...
    Over the years I've managed to acquire the following pittances towards retirement:
    1, A final salary scheme that's going to pay approx £1500 per annum
    2, A company scheme that'll pay approx £600 per annum
    3, A private pension with a current pot of £40k.
    I'm 55 shortly and have several health issues ( nothing terminal, touch wood) and would like to get my sweaty paws on some of the above as a lump sum to treat my family and myself while I'm still fit and young enough to enjoy it. What are my options for freeing up some cash? And can I leave them separate ie leave the company ones in situ till I retire? Thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback