PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Struggling to pay your rent? Shelter needs your help!

Options

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's no 'benefit spring' and it's tax payer funded; the scandal is that a 24 yo chap is not living at home if he's out of work and instead seem to believe others have to fund his lifestyle.

£380 pcm to live somewhere in Western Europe sounds like a bargain.

£380 a month rent and bills is a bargain. My nephew lives in a room in a shared house in London and pays £900 PLUS bills a month.

My son's circumstances are that if he came home (and he would be welcome) the closest place to get work to where I live with any prospects is London. The monthly ticket from my home to London is £480.00. (I pay £4878.00 for my annual ticket). That's before he earns a penny. Even if I didn't charge him rent or board it would still not be viable to work a minimum wage job.

The government has absolutely no chance of ever getting his student loan paid off.

The only good thing (for him) is that when I die, he will cop for the lot as he's an only child. Assuming, that is, that I haven't spent it all.

I don't begrudge him some of the £1300 income tax and NI I pay every month in Universal Credit so I'd say I already keep him.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Options
    He's 24! He's a grown man! If parents are expected to keep their children till they are 30 maybe they should still be entitled to child benefit and tax credits for that long?

He's a grown man who can't support himself (apparently); his parents should not take him home (as you say, he's a grown man) but expectation is taxpayers should fund him?

oh dear. At what age do you kick children out? Day after they're not eligible for child benefits?
    Bizarre world!
    EU expat working in London
  • pimento
    Options
    Well the expectation is that the taxpayer funds all benefits, isn't it?

I pay in way more than I get back so I'm quite happy that son spends a few weeks while he's between (!!!!!! paying) jobs claiming some of my tax money.

The real scandal is that the minimum wage is subsidising poorly paying employers when a worker has to claim a top-up from the taxpayer to be able to live.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm the kind of person that's deeply suspicious of the welfare state, is horrified by the workshy and thinks we need to be incredibly careful not to allow people to become dependent on the state unless there's no other choice. But even I agree with pimento. If circumstances haven't allowed you to build up savings, then you're in trouble the moment you lose your income, which could happen to absolutely any of us, and finding a new job can be hard, and take time, no matter how low you set your standards. For that time, the state must step in and help, and that "help" must actually allow you to live to a reasonable minimum standard. The idea that we can reasonably assume everyone has a familial support network who can provide this help, or make up the difference between what the state provides and what the person needs, is clearly ludicrous. So for the state to provide a level of "help" that wouldn't even take you off the street is just plain silly - not helping enough is not materially different to not helping at all, so if the government accepts the principle that they should help, they need to do it properly!
  • cashbackproblems
    cashbackproblems Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Options
    pimento wrote: »
    My son (lives in Glasgow) is currently unemployed and looking for work. He's 24 and lives in a flat share where his rent and bills are £380 a month. His Universal Credit is £251.77 and that is to pay for everything, including his rent, bills and food.
    When he asked how he was going to live, he was told to contact his friends or family to help him out.

It's a scandal.

but the country is almost bankrupt, we are no longer a power house and can afford to keep people in the level they are at if out of work. Its personal responsibility to save enough for a rainy day and not rely on the state.

The housing problem is another issue and something which will not get sorted out whatever governments say. Immigration, BTL, single person households, cheap credit all created the problem
  • pimento
    Options
    but the country is almost bankrupt, we are no longer a power house and can afford to keep people in the level they are at if out of work. Its personal responsibility to save enough for a rainy day and not rely on the state.

The housing problem is another issue and something which will not get sorted out whatever governments say. Immigration, BTL, single person households, cheap credit all created the problem

I know this is a money saving site but if you've just left university with a whacking great debt and you're earning minimum wage and having to pay rent and bills etc. how do you propose that you save enough to keep you if you're unemployed and what you're being paid doesn't even cover your rent?

If he came home he'd only be getting £65 a week job seekers allowance and even if I kept him for free (assuming I could afford to), how could he save enough to keep himself on £65 a week when the bus to the job centre is £3.80?

Really?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 May 2017 at 2:38PM
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    .............Benefits are not there for people to choose the kind of job they want. They are there to help people who can't work because they are ill or disabled.
    Piffle:

About half the benefit spend goes to those like me, the old. I get 6 benefits - State Pension, Winter Fuel allowance, £10 Xmas bonus, free eye tests, free prescriptions, 'bus pass. I could reasonably comfortably survive without any of them. Most of us old people aren't (thanks...) "..ill or disabled..". Many in receipt of Child Benefit, the various tax credits couldn't be described as "..ill or disabled.." either.

The benefit cutbacks have been very largely to the poor, the vulnerable, the disabled, the already disadvantaged: (very predominantly non-Tory voters - funny that..)

This is wrong, unfair, un-British. Shame on Mother T.

Best regards to all including those who disagree with me.
  • pimento
    Options
    Just for clarity, he has only been unemployed for six weeks. He isn't a long-term layabout with a girlfriend and a couple of kids. The place he lives in isn't a penthouse suite, it's a shared flat with someone he doesn't know.
    He doesn't have a gambling problem or a drug problem, he scrubs up well and wears a suit to his interviews, he's polite and more enthusiastic than I would be after so many rejections. He's starting out and it's hard. I live 300 miles away and I worry.
    It shouldn't be like this.

It must be great being perfect.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    pimento wrote: »
    My son (lives in Glasgow) is currently unemployed and looking for work. He's 24 and lives in a flat share where his rent and bills are £380 a month. His Universal Credit is £251.77 and that is to pay for everything, including his rent, bills and food.
    When he asked how he was going to live, he was told to contact his friends or family to help him out.

It's a scandal.
    That amount of UC is just the single person's basic allowance, it doesn't include any housing element, so for some reason he's not getting the housing element. Do you know why?

He should be entitled to the shared accomodation LHA rate which would be about £296pm in Glasgow. Assuming it's a properly set up tenancy.

His basic UC will go up when he turns 25 to about £317, but he really needs to sort out getting the housing element!
  • pimento
    Options
    When the first payment arrived, he called them and asked about how he was going to pay his rent and was told to ask his friends and family.

I didn't realise there was a housing element. They certainly didn't tell him about it.

I did know that his money was going up when he was 25 (thankfully next week).

Who would he speak to about the housing element?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure