PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

First time buyer - HTB - one or two bed?

Options
Hi, I wonder if anyone could help with any advice.

I am a first time buyer looking to buy on a new estate as close to london as I can afford as I don't want to live too far away.

I have established that although HTB is what I need to help me to be able to get a mortgage, the less I have to borrow in the equity loan the better. I am hoping to shrink this to 15/20% rather than the full 40% on a one bed flat.

My main questions are though - should I stretch myself and go for a two bed flat?
It will mean a 30% HTB loan and roughly extra £50 per month mortgage cost.
Will it be hard to sell a one bed flat?
Do two bed flats make more money when the market increases?
Is the bigger the property the better if I'm going to hopefully sell it in 2-3 years?

Thanks

Comments

• SquirrelRM
    SquirrelRM Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    I wasn't aware that you could choose how much of the equity loan you took on but could be completely wrong.
    Personally I would go for the larger property as moving is such an expensive thing to do. Of course it depends on your work situation and other variables.
  • BeckyAP
    BeckyAP Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    If you can manage the repayments for the two bed then go for it.
    In the SE we were looking between a two bed and three bed house. Given we knew that we were going to be staying in the area and starting a family down the line, the 3 bed was going to be more suitable.
    It future proofs you to a point but also gives you the ability to downsize if you do begin to struggle!
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    You have the option to rent out a bedroom if you struggle .
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If you can manage the cost of the two bed I would go for that. It gives you more flexibility - you may be able to take in a lodger if you need to in the future, to help defray some of the costs, you have more room to grow if you start a relationship or if you want to start a family later on. Or if you simply want to be able to have visitors come to stay from time to time!

And for all those reasons, a two bed is likely to be easier to sell in the future.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure