How to cure Anxiety on a low budget

Options
I have suffered from anxiety for over a decade. It has impacted my employment to a considerable degree as I struggle to get a job and hold down a job. When I am out of employment, I get miserable so I do actively seek work which gives me a routine and gets me out of the house.

To date, I have tried multiple counsellors and hypnotherapists (both phone apps and in person), undertaken NLP, attended meditation courses (though haven't continued the practice), taken up yoga (though moved away from the studio so don't do it anymore).

I have researched the condition by reading books by experts, looked into mindfulness, explored buddhism, kept a gratitude diary. I try to eat well, keep fit, sleep well and my partner is supportive.

The counselling I have undertaken and other supporting activities give me some temporary relief but the anxiety always returns - can't eat, can't sleep, nausea, upset stomach and so forth.

But I've just lasted 2 days in a new job before panicking that I couldn't do it and resigned.

So what are my other options to permanently cure my anxiety given my low budget? Thanks.

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Anxiety is not something you cure, everyone has it to some extent, it is something you learn to manage.

What strikes me is that you don't follow through with the things you learn - the techniques from therapy, mindfulness, yoga etc. Think back to things that have worked in the past, how can you implement them into your life now? You don't need a therapist or a studio to do that, they can all be done at home.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Graded exposure therapy. Its free, has its basis in CBT, and is, along with CBT the gold standard treatment for anxiety. It is also hard and takes a fair while, but it does work.

If you see your GP, they will refer you to the local service which provides these services for free (if you are entitled to NHS healthcare). There are also medications which can help - but this is completely down to you. You need proper diagnosis (as there are various types of anxiety) and treatment.

You can also do these on your own - there are plenty of resources, and there is a free online CBT (moodgym.com.au).

Just as an aside, you may never "cure" your anxiety. Anxiety is caused by thinking patterns - you may get better but you can relapse.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with Tomtontom, OP if you find the counselling is benefitting- what is it about the therapy that is helping? If it's things they are suggesting you try (eg mindfulness or Yoga or whatever else has helped that they have suggested), why not carry that on by yourself? It can help to having someone to check in with which can help motivate people to do x,y,z when they normally wouldn't because they couldn't believe it would help and often need a reason to kick-start them to try/do something. But if you have gone past that and it has helped, go back and keep doing what you were doing.

In terms of keeping it low cost; local council gyms or even some of the newer 24-hour gyms will run classes as do many community halls and so on. Just keep a check on your local papers, local library info board and even web searches of local community buildings in your area.

But if it was the talking itself that helped; aside from the phone lines available (Samaritans, Mind, Reach....etc) you might be able to find low cost counselling if you look for local courses which run counselling degrees and often need candidates to help the students but bare in mind that things can be very time limited this way.

I'm sure you already know the basics (sleeping enough, eating a balanced and healthy diet, keeping a diary of when things feel too much so you can try looking for triggers and reasons and this will make it easier to predict next time and get help from people around you (eg meeting with a friend for coffee, Even if they are unable to talk about your issues, they can help take your mind off things and so feel a bit less on your own. Being alone with problems can intensify them and make them feel ten times worse IME.
  • UnluckyT
    UnluckyT Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, anxiety is a difficult thing to live and deal with.
    I've been suffering with anxiety for a while too so can empathise, although I've found trying to cope and managing it to be a !!!!!! but a good goal.
    What helps is I've some sort of routine, which includes helping at my mums allotment, or pottering in the garden.
    I've found keeping a general diary or journal can help, doesn't necessarily need to be a diary - a notebook should suffice.
    Is their any walking groups nearby? Sometimes run by drs or community centre's.
    Or perhaps a green gym run locally?
    Hope it helps.
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/consumers.cfm

The problem is that you won't get rid of the anxiety, but you can minimize the effects it has on you.

Exposure therapy may be the way forward.
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • bottom_biscuits
    Options
    OP look up Dr Claire Weekes. Her books are on amazon and she's got a dvd on YouTube of her talks she gave at the BBC many years ago.

Don't be put off by the fact that they're a few years old now. Her methods work very well.
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you come across Anxiety UK?

https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk

I'ts £30 a year to join, and you get access to lots of support, including discounted counselling (based on your income) and a year of Headspace (which normally costs about £80).

Worth a look.
  • kimplus8
    kimplus8 Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You GP should be able to refer you ( in some areas you can self refer) to your local CBT/ secondary mental health service.
    If you haven't already tried it then may I suggest medication?
    I had years of trying different short term solutions to my mental health but truly the only thing that helps me feel better is being on meds for a while. I found CBT to be much like sticking a plaster over an infected wound- temporarily it cover it and stops you needing to deal with things properly but eventually the plaster needs to come off.
    Mind is a fantastic charity and they have lots of free courses and workshops across the country.
    I hope you work out something :-)
    Saving for a house in 2025 LISA £7726/£15000 Emergency Fund £1000/£6000 No spend Year 2023
  • Lamentation
    Lamentation Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for your suggestions and advice.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don't mention medication, which can be very effective - what have you tried of these?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure