Personal Training

Options
13»

Comments

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I started going to a PT in February/March 2008. I stopped going in February this year.

I didn't drop any clothes sizes from going to the gym. I did build muscle. I got fitter and I got stronger, but I am still overweight and have 3-4 dress sizes to lose. The PT couldn't force me to change my diet.

I stopped going because of the financial commitment and the fact that my commute to a different job often meant I would be missing sessions. I also was training with two other people and felt that we didn't do as much strength training as I wanted. For me personally the gym membership is more cost effective at this point in time but that is because I am motivated to go.

What I did gain from the PT sessions was:
    A commitment to exercise - it is now a way of life and a priority
    An understanding that if I want to lose weight, that is going to come from diet
    Knowledge on how to train
    The ability to know my body, the difference between good pain and bad pain, when to test my limits and when to play safe

If you can afford it, it's worth doing. As my PT said though, results are earned not guaranteed, and the only person who can earn them is you. Work out what motivates you and go for it. :)
  • Gra76
    Gra76 Posts: 804 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Macmillan Cancer Support are currently paying for me to see a PT for 12 sessions. I go for session number 8 after work today.

Things I've learned about myself and diet/exercise in general since visiting:

- You have to really want it. Like anything in life, if you lack the willpower to do it then you may as well not bother. I've set a goal to be leaner and more toned by my birthday in June so that when the sun comes out for summer I can peel my top off and feel good about myself. I started out at 23% bodyfat (measured by my PT with callipers when we had our first session) and both myself and my PT already know I've lost plenty of bodyfat from that point. I was 12st on the dot when we began, I'm now 11st 3lb and I've dropped a size in trousers on my waist as I've slimmed off/toned up.

- What you put into your body is very important. I used to eat pretty much whatever I wanted but still counted the calories, which lost me the best part of 3 stone, but I hit a plateau where I wasn't getting much further and my 'beer gut' was still present. Since starting with my PT he's given me a proper eating plan which has helped kickstart the weight loss again and my 'beer gut' is rapidly disappearing.

- A good PT is worth their weight in gold. He tells me, and I can believe it as someone who used to do exactly this, that most people who go to the gym don't push themselves hard enough or give up too easily. He says that most people work out at 25-30% of their capacity so it's well within their comfort zone and this is why most people don't see any gains in weight loss or muscle. He makes damn sure I work hard during our sessions, he says he pushes me to about 80-85% of my capacity whether it's a cardio session or a weights session and based on the amount of aching I usually have for the next few days after a weights session I don't disbelieve him for a second! He'll ask me after every session where I'd have stopped if I'd been at the gym myself. The honest answer is that I'd have made it easier for myself to start with and I'd not have got past 10 mins of what he gets me doing as it's really not very easy for me but I dig in and get it done.

I think I'm going to carry on seeing him after the 12 sessions is up as he's really motivated me to push myself harder than I would dare to if I was doing it myself. He's shown me that I'm more than capable of doing things I didn't think I could still do.
  • alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The thing i found worked for me is a simple A5 book.

I write down what I've done between each station / rest between reps.

I probably look a bit mad but i took my inspiration from a Trainer with a laptop and excel (and went cheap) :)

This lets me look back over a period of time to see where i'm progressing, what i'm "stuck" on and where i'm taking it easier than i should be.

I then use either a gym instructor or a trainer to help me out in those particular areas to get me over a "hump" and then progress again on my own.

The reality of most things like this is mental attitude, realistic expectations and going back to someone from time to time to help get you out of ruts.

As a side note i don't think i've ever come across an instructor or PT that is a fully qualified dietitian.

I'm somewhat wary of the term nutritionist as it's not a protected term in the UK.

My 2 cents.
  • purpleshoes_2
    purpleshoes_2 Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Options
    You have to have a nutrition qualification to be a pt but it's basic. Some people can and do advanced qualifications, the company who I did my pt qualification has an expert in nutrition tutoring and people are encouraged to study further, some do to degree level.

My brother advises everyone he trains to use a notebook when they are training in the gym.
  • Gra76
    Gra76 Posts: 804 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    The first thing you see on my PT's wall as you walk in are his degree level qualifications so I'm happy to put his advice to work. He clearly knows much more than I do in that area!
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with you Gra about them being worth their weight in gold. I see mine as I have serious mental health issues and can have a lot of eating and exercise problems and also either don't do a thing or do too much! I'm on week 12 and will carry on probably for a long time although dropping a session a week in a few months.

I couldn't do this without him and i'm lucky to have such a great trainer
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I have lost 3 dress sizes 4 years ago and only put 1 back.
    I had started to gym and continued for months without noticing any change. It only made a difference when I changed my diet and lifestyle.
    I had a PT 2 years ago and it was brilliant however without following a controlled diet, there is little they can do for you.

At gym, I prefer to go to classes as I find training alone boring. PTs can be great but they don't have magical powers to drain fat from your body.
    ally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport