The Great 'Medical Tourism' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Before anything gets too clouded, can say that I have no issues with people having dental care in other countries that they visit regularly.

If someone has relatives who live abroad, or who are not natives of the UK then as far as I'm concerned it is fine to have dental care wherever you feel confident in your care.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • rac_3
    rac_3 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    This point is not irrelevent.

NHS dental care is a Govenment issue. If they wanted NHS dental care, there would be NHS dental care.

NHS dentists have not left the system to work on a wealthy patients from another country. They have left the system because the system is unworkable.

An 'open market' it certainly is. Doesn't make it right though.

Doesn't make it wrong either!

I am simply saying many people are making choices that are economically prudent given the current circumstances with the NHS.
  • theredfox_2
    theredfox_2 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    You dont know me toothsmith, I don't know you. An arm wrestling match about past or current credibility, helping others or whatever, is irrelevant.

I question your presence here, in regard to your objection to travel-abroad dentistry. You are free to counter it and appear to have done so but I think the general point remains, certainly about the most excellent possibilities of this topic.
    You do not have any sort of clue of the issues involved here. You just have a chip on your shoulder about people who have worked to get themselves into a position where they earn more money than you.

I have more than a clue: I have a good understanding of economics, capitalism, human nature, greed, and how, in this case, they pertain to Rip Off UK dentistry. And I am angry about it. I think the UK economy is getting increasingly skewed, polarised into haves and have-nots, house prices being another disgusting example.

As for comments about what I earn, resentments etc, if I were you I'd tread carefully if you wish to avoid straying into a very unpleasant area, since you have no facts about me but I'm probably right in saying these forums essentially serve a purpose in helping people who, unlike you, do not have the luxury of massive salaries. I fall into that category through no fault, lack of education or effort of mine, and when I switch off my computer have nothing like the lifestyle you undoubtedly have: which I suspect is common here, so remarks like "people who have worked ....more money than you" blah blah will not be well received and certainly not by me when you, metaphorically, drive off smiling in your big Mercedes. I see plenty of wealthy people who have what they've got on the basis of hard work etc etc and thats fine.....the point is, dentistry involves different issues pertaining to health and welfare rights of a country's citizens, and how unacceptable it is when it becomes get-rich capitalism serving what's becoming an increasingly privileged few who can afford it.

I know people in business - one is a shop, one was a factory in the manufacturing industry. In both cases, you find nothing like the exploitative exchange that happen in dentistry. The sums and salaries involved are comparable, but irrelevant; what this concerns is an aspect of basic health care and how it should be available relatively easily in an advanced country. No one will believe, or accept, that a cost difference of £400 compared to £1800 is accounted for with greater running costs - and that concerns Hungary, not Goa or Thailand, and I suspect its similar with other European countries. That may be acceptable economics for a piece of "designer clothing" if that's what people want and enjoy and accept paying for, but dentistry is different - and I'm not talking US cosmetic style work, just basic healthy nice teeth. Blaming the government for an "unworkable NHS" is a ridiculous notion - what's that supposed to mean, exactly? Dentists are leaving it because they make vastly better profits by going private. I have no animosity towards you for earning £100,000 as such - but I do get angry when I'm presented with massive dental bills. They are two different things, but get related whereby questioning the former is the other side of the coin of the latter.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have to be honest, I agree with toothsmith on this one, I think we all as human beings in the UK have to accept the fact that heralth tourism of any kind has a socioeconomic impact. Whether in the light of this impact we change our behaviour is another thing entirely. I disagree its down to individual dentists what they charge- the NHS has got dentists over a barrell. I occasionally see the family dentist when i go home to manchester- a clean there is half what it is in london ( but I have a 50 quid train fare to factor in so I dont go specifically for this)

Im not sure I agree that a crown is "cosmetic" I knocked out my front tooth playing swingball as a nipper. it was badlyt crowned ( braces didnt help) and the crown fell off leaving a rotten stump behind as it was badly fitted. Ive had to have the majority of the remaining tooth drilled out & removed so its really the crown just hanging on in there. Without this im down to the gum

I am DREADING it going ( i get a shooting pain in it now and then suspect its the nerve) cos I just cannot work out how im going to pay 5-700 quid for the "cosmetic" treatment.

I have been considering going abroad to have my teeth gone over once and for all.

Ive also considered going overseas for some liposuction too, and If I could get both jobs done in one hit then I would be very interested. A figure for lipo off the internet ( just a google not looked into it properly) is around 300 quid.

If I could get both the crown adn the lipo done for the same price as Id pay for the crown here in the UK, Id be happy with that - its called VALUE FOR MONEY.

My mum said when they flew back from goa the first time looked like everyone had all been in a plane crash already! with thier black eyes and bandages everywhere :D

ps theres always a lot of "new" posters come through when martin posts a thread in the chat tips email. Happens all the time :D
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • chaddy7604
    chaddy7604 Posts: 20,469 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    teatine wrote: »

:spam:

Already reported this today, removed by mods!

Now posting as some body else
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    theredfox wrote: »
    Blaming the government for an "unworkable NHS" is a ridiculous notion - what's that supposed to mean, exactly?

A system where doing one filing earns the dentist 3 funding points. Yet doing 7 filings, 3 root fillings, and 4 extractions also earns 3 funding points. (1 funding point = £15-20 depending on contract value)

A system where spending 2h root filling a tooth in order to save it earns 3 funding points, yet taking it out and making a small denture to replace it earns 12 funding points.

How's that for starters?

How about a system where if you earn all your funding points before the end of the year, you simply have to stop work until the next financial year?

Or a system that allows a PCT to simply take your contract away if it decides there is simply no 'Need' for your services anymore (Or more likely they're a bit strapped for cash). Try explaining that one to the bank manager when you're loking for a loan to re-equip a surgery!

How about a system that relies on the charges patients pay for a major part of the funding - which has lead to several PCTs instructing dentists to stop seeing patients exempt from patient charges and concentrate on those that have to pay!

I repeat that you have no understanding of the issues involved here, and the more you post, the more obvious that becomes.

You say that a difference in prices from £400 to £1800 cannot be accounted for in running costs. It is only just over 4 x more.

Are you telling me you don't believe property costs are 4x less in Hungary? My nurses vary between £8ph for the most junior, to £15ph for the more senior, with hygienists on £25-30ph. From what I read of Hungary, there are many who would be very happy with the equivalent of £2-£4 per DAY! That's why they travel over here to work in the fields.

If you really had any idea of economics, you wouldn't have posted half the rubbish you just have.

Dentistry is a healthcare profession - but social policy is a Government issue. If the Government want social dentistry, then it is they that have to make it happen. The way it's always been done in the past has been by business owning dentists subcontracting their time to the NHS.

If the NHS fees cannot keep pace with the costs of implementing the ever increasing regulations, then dentists cannot provide the care on the NHS.

The Government does have the choice of setting up it's own clinics - but apart from a few highly expensive 'Access Centres' thay have chosen not to do this. The reason? It's too expensive for them to run. If the Government can't afford to do it - then what chance have the dentists?
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • theredfox_2
    theredfox_2 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not interested in the "rubbish" that YOU just posted. What does administrative points for this, points for that, have to do with the fundamental economics of this? - absolutely nothing. How much does an NHS dentist earn? And are you going to tell me it's a sob story, because it's only £50,000? Try and tell me they object to points for this points for that admin, rather than the fact that they can make £80,000, £100,00 whatever by going private?

I repeat that dentistry is mostly £ motivated, and the departure of dentists from the NHS is because they earn even more by going private.

How much does an NHS dentist earn?
    How much do they earn by going private?

- and I think people can 1) make up their own minds why it happens and 2) object like I do when dentistry increasingly becomes an expensive option for the relatively privileged when 3) Britain is an advanced country and dental health is a basic necessity.

I'm really not interested in the agenda that you undoubtedly moan about in your professional organisations, and use to convince others you are victims.

How much does an NHS dentist earn?
    How much do they earn by going private?

UK dentistry is going the same way as US private health care; what the government needs to do is implement some legislative control that currently applies to doctors, so dentistry doesn't become even more of a capitalist situation than it already is.

My initial remark expressed great delight at this thread and I look forward to more stories and information about dental holidays.
  • Toothsmith
    Options
    The point is you can make £80k on the NHS if you don't mind taking out teeth that could be saved. (Because you get more points for that on the NHS)

A recent table of earnings had dentists at 26 in the top 100 with average earnings of £42k. I did place a link to this table ages ago - and can't find it now. That didn't differentiate between private & NHS, but neither did it differentiate between part-time & full time so there can be a huge variation to get that average.

Private dentists don't earn much more than NHS ones. Inland Revenue figures show it to be about 5% more (Again, no link I'm afraid). When a dentist goes private they do charge more - but they slow down and see less people - giving a better service to each one. So higher charges but lower volume = similar earnings.

That is one of the things I'm constantly making people aware of on this site. If they are looking for a private dentist, then make sure they're getting the time they are paying for. Admittedly there are a few dentists out there charging private prices, yet still bashing out the volume. I object to this as much as dental tourism.
    How to find a dentist.
  • quidsinquentin
    quidsinquentin Posts: 42,693 Forumite
    Options
    I have a friend who had some teeth knocked out playing football and others loosened.

He went to India and paid less than £1500 for all the work.

He then paid nealry £3000 to have it all undone and redone to the correct standard in the UK.

Think about it very carefully - there's no comebacks as far as I'm aware.
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
  • unnaturalblonde
    Options
    thanks to Toothsmith for all the efforts s/he has put into their posts - and don't let redfox wind you up - he wouldn't want to cloud his argument with facts about the real situation of dentistry in the UK. My aunt's a GP and occasionally meets people who believe the tabloid headlines about GPs making a fortune. If they do, they're working incredibly hard for it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback