Car hit while unattended

Options
2»

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    It makes me laugh it does. A bit back I parked well away from the "easy" places.
    Plenty of spaces between me and there. I thought I was safe!
    Came back to find two more vehicles parked right next to mine. :rotfl:

It's called sods law, but you still reduced the risk by doing so.

Of course in a busy carpark it's not so easy, in which case the lowest risk is next to (or between) cars that have been reverse parked, because this shows the driver is somewhat competent behind the wheel and reduces the risk of getting side swiped when they leave their space.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    It's called sods law, but you still reduced the risk by doing so.

Of course in a busy carpark it's not so easy, in which case the lowest risk is next to (or between) cars that have been reverse parked, because this shows the driver is somewhat competent behind the wheel and reduces the risk of getting side swiped when they leave their space.
    Yes, although in some car parks, it feels safer to park in the more public areas.
    Interestingly IIRC the cars that parked next to me were "decent" in that they didn't look battered or full of crud. Wonder if people see you parked away from the herd and think it's an idea.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, although in some car parks, it feels safer to park in the more public areas.
    Interestingly IIRC the cars that parked next to me were "decent" in that they didn't look battered or full of crud. Wonder if people see you parked away from the herd and think it's an idea.

Only if they care about their car.

You can't use "decent" as a judgement, because it's very easy to lease a new car and any new car is going to appear "decent", i'd rather park near something 5+ years old that still looks "decent".
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Plenty of people do it. Definitely a logic to it given most dings/bumps etc probably happen in car parks.

In less than 15 years driving, I've been hit 3 times while the car was parked and I was still sat in it plus probably other times I haven't been aware until later when washing the car for example. I've seen 2 cars who didn't have their handbrake on roll across the car park into other cars. I've seen umpteen trolleys be left against other cars or have the wind blow them into other cars. I've seen countless people either not grab hold of their door or lose a grip on it in high winds - battering off the car next to them etc.

No, I'm not perfect myself. Lost grip of the door in extreme winds & rain (what the media like to call a hurricane, what we call "a bit windy"). Only slipped out my hand at the last inch or two (lost grip with the rain against a sudden gust) so luckily was no damage. Would have paid if it had - nothing worse than someone who damages your car and walks/drives off on their merry way.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Only if they care about their car.

You can't use "decent" as a judgement, because it's very easy to lease a new car and any new car is going to appear "decent", i'd rather park near something 5+ years old that still looks "decent".
    That's exactly what I meant by "decent" .Older cars that looked reasonably well cared for. Anybody who can afford it can have a new car. It's how it get's treated that matters.
    Plenty of people do it. Definitely a logic to it given most dings/bumps etc probably happen in car parks.

In less than 15 years driving, I've been hit 3 times while the car was parked and I was still sat in it plus probably other times I haven't been aware until later when washing the car for example. I've seen 2 cars who didn't have their handbrake on roll across the car park into other cars. I've seen umpteen trolleys be left against other cars or have the wind blow them into other cars. I've seen countless people either not grab hold of their door or lose a grip on it in high winds - battering off the car next to them etc.

No, I'm not perfect myself. Lost grip of the door in extreme winds & rain (what the media like to call a hurricane, what we call "a bit windy"). Only slipped out my hand at the last inch or two (lost grip with the rain against a sudden gust) so luckily was no damage. Would have paid if it had - nothing worse than someone who damages your car and walks/drives off on their merry way.

Nobody is perfect.

You all make mistakes! :rotfl:

Seriously though we all do. Mistakes are one thing. Generally not giving a toss is another.
    I had a Passat estate for many years. It certainly wasn't "battered" but it had little dings and scratches all the way round at shopping trolley height. I hadn't put them there, neither had my wife.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    After my car was damaged by a hit and run motorist, I installed dash cam with parking guard.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport