Barclaycard:Rated 70-80% Successful on 'Soft' Search - will I get it???

Options
2»

Comments

• LplateSaver
    Options
    I did the checker for Barclaycard initial a few (maybe 4?) months back and it gave me 80-90 or 90+ can't remember which. Anyway I didn't apply.
    Last week I tried it again and it gave me a 70-80% chance of acceptance. I know this would be a decline however because I'm pretty sure I've read that you have to be in your home 3 months and I've recently moved. I'll try it again when I have been here 3 months. So yeah you can kind of guesstimate yourself by looking at the eligibility.
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    In your situation I would try checkers for other 0% cards first and then apply for the one coming out with the highest score.

Thanks

As far as I know Nationwide and Braclaycard are the only 2 that can do this 'soft' search.

I've had a Nationwide card in the past 12 months so I do not qualify for their best rates at the moment.

I've tried the MSE checker but it will not work for me!
  • Baby_Angel
    Options
    Thanks

As far as I know Nationwide and Braclaycard are the only 2 that can do this 'soft' search.

I've had a Nationwide card in the past 12 months so I do not qualify for their best rates at the moment.

I've tried the MSE checker but it will not work for me!

I applied one for Mbna just last week and got approved. MBNA did a soft search first and told me my chances are around 70%. MSE checker also said it would be around the 60-70% mark. I had no choice and my 0% deals ends in Feb. I wanted to have one ready in time or sort something else out before that. When I said proceed with application, it then did a full credit check. I was even surprised when they said my limit would be £8000! I don't check my credit files that often, but pay my bills on time and check my bank transactions like a hawk.
    SPC 08 - #452 - £415
    SPC 09 - #452 - £298
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Options
    Baby_Angel wrote: »
    I applied one for Mbna just last week and got approved. MBNA did a soft search first and told me my chances are around 70%. MSE checker also said it would be around the 60-70% mark. I had no choice and my 0% deals ends in Feb. I wanted to have one ready in time or sort something else out before that. When I said proceed with application, it then did a full credit check. I was even surprised when they said my limit would be £8000! I don't check my credit files that often, but pay my bills on time and check my bank transactions like a hawk.

Thanks BabyAngel - I was just looking at the MBNA one as-well. I've never dealt with them and have not heard too much about them but someone suggested they are one if the easier cards to get so they are now on my radar!
  • Baby_Angel
    Options
    I've never dealt with them and have not heard too much about them but someone suggested they are one if the easier cards to get so they are now on my radar!

Neither have I before last week. I was really worried about being rejected. With lots of other credit cards, especially the ones related to high street banks, my chances are usually pretty low in the MSE checker. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I have a Barclays current account. Barclaycard usually gives you 0% BT offers even as existing customer (not as long as their initial 0% periods, but sometimes 12 months), so it is a good one to have. Anyway good luck with your application.
    SPC 08 - #452 - £415
    SPC 09 - #452 - £298
  • sai5
    sai5 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys
    HI

In may I have done the soft search with barclays and got 80 % for intitial and 70 % for platinum card. But I opted to apply for initial as I was not enrolled at the electoral. And I got the initial card with £400 limit only.

So you can give a try .
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Options
    Went ahead with the MBNA application. Completed everything but then had to call them to 'verify' the offer. Was accepted and I am now just waiting on paperwork, card etc arriving!
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I always had doubts about the MSE Eligibility Checker, and have never used t before. After applying for an Amex Cashback card recently, I decided to see what the MSE Eligibility Checker says.

"0% Accepted. You are not eligible for this card."

Four other Amex cards were listed, all with the same 0% message.

Got an e-mail from Amex, saying they were not able to make a decision straight away. Then, without further communication, I was accepted.

Checked again today, the MSE still says 0%.

I wonder if anyone has ever signed on to a dating site, and gets rejected, because they have 0% chance of getting a date. :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure