Secure pockets in sports clothing

Options
Primrose
Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
edited 6 October 2014 at 12:41PM in Sports & fitness MoneySaving
A sort of rant really. Why is is that so many manufacturers of sports clothing such as track suits, sports hoodies etc always manufacture them without secure zipped pockets for containing items like house/car keys or mobile phones?.
This kit is often worn in outdoor places like parks, etc and it's really inconvenient not to have secure pockets for containing these items which can so easily fall out and be lost while one is physically active. It's a bit like architects who never have to live in the houses they design.

Comments

• lisa701
    lisa701 Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    Know what you mean. I've got a few running tops & pants which have zipped pockets and they are so handy, saves having to wear one of those annoying waist bag thing for your keys etc.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe you are not buying proper sport items (more fashionable sport ones)? All the running gear that I have has got them, same as cycling.
  • G_Model101
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    A sort of rant really. Why is is that so many manufacturers of sports clothing such as track suits, sports hoodies etc always manufacture them without secure zipped pockets for containing items like house/car keys or mobile phones?.
    This kit is often worn in outdoor places like parks, etc and it's really inconvenient not to have secure pockets for containing these items which can so easily fall out and be lost while one is physically active. It's a bit like architects who never have to live in the houses they design.

Exactly this. I think it's a case of sports trousers rarely being worn for sport anymore. It took me 10 minutes in Sports Direct last time to actually find a pair with zip pockets. But the pocket linings were of such poor quality that they lasted around a week before I had to get my mum to stich them back up!
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2014 at 11:51AM
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    Maybe you are not buying proper sport items (more fashionable sport ones)? All the running gear that I have has got them, same as cycling.

Where do you get it from?!

I have the same problem. Between things not having any zipped pockets and not being able to find things in short leg length, I currently possess one pair of tracksuit bottoms for exercising in. At the minute I'm not really sure what I'll do when they give up the ghost!

I was thinking it was more a case of it's assumed everyone goes to a gym, where people don't need to carry any keys or anything as they will be put in a locker.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MY OH has exactly the same problem with trying to find really short legged tracks suit bottoms. I always have to cut a huge chunk off them so buying anything elasticated is out. I'm not sure people want to pay huge premiums for Branded Name sports wear which gets mucky and muddy and is continually in the washing machine. I wouldn't buy Christian Dior trousers for digging the garden in. I just want something to wear for outside exercise activity which keeps my small belongings safe.
  • donglemouse
    donglemouse Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    some of the ronhill stuff might be worth a look - from memory they certainly do some stuff (especially shorts called cargo) which have various zippy pockets for keys, phones, food etc.

from my experience it lasts well & isn't the most expensive kit available
  • runningben16
    Options
    I think all of my shorts have got small zipped pockets, usually just enough to fit a house key and mobile phone. Ignore the 'trendy' brands and look at 'proper' sports brands like Ronhill and Brooks, they're better designed around your actual needs as a runner, and they're usually better cheaper and better quality too
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Options
    *looks at Ronhill and Brooks*

HOW MUCH? :eek:
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »

I have some proper sports items and they have no zipped pockets. Only my running tights and a pair of shorts have zipped pockets.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    I have some proper sports items and they have no zipped pockets. Only my running tights and a pair of shorts have zipped pockets.

Just did a search on amazon and came up with a number of items, track suits and jackets with zipped pockets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure