Broken pet cage from Zooplus

Options
Hi there,

We've had a Savic Rat & Ferret Cage Royal Suite 95 for just over 6 months now and one of the metal handles to open one of the four doors has snapped at the screw. This means we cannot now open that door. We also couldn't find the piece of the screw that had snapped off anywhere (not ideal, considering the potential choking hazard to our pets).

There seems to be absolutely nothing on their website alluding to a warranty for any of the items retailed at Zooplus. Therefore, we contacted them to find out whether they'd be able to send a replacement door (this included an image of the broken part).

The cage cost us £200. They promptly responded to tell us that they didn't have a replacement part and would give us just £8 to get the issue fixed locally (to use their words). There was no mention of trying to source the part from Savic, the manufacturer.

Is there anywhere we can go from here without there being a product warranty in place?

Any and all advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Zooplus' information on your rights is very poor (although nonexistant might be a better description), I'd have thought twice before ordering from them. However, you still have your consumer rights. It's a pity it's over 6 months as that means they can insist that you prove the fault was inherent (usually done by getting an independent report written) before you can require them to take action.
  • Fluffybunny80
    Options
    I've received many broken cages on delivery from these jokers so would never order from them again.
    But they usually ask me for pictures and re send the damaged part but still not good enough as you know the first one will be broken!

Sorry not much help but you were lucky to even receive the cage undamaged but not lucky it's still broken down the line!

Have you sent pictures of the fault?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Zooplus' information on your rights is very poor (although nonexistant might be a better description), I'd have thought twice before ordering from them. However, you still have your consumer rights. It's a pity it's over 6 months as that means they can insist that you prove the fault was inherent (usually done by getting an independent report written) before you can require them to take action.

They are not a UK company so UK CRA won’t apply. Looks like they’re based in Belgium (I had thought Germany)
  • LexyBells
    Options
    I've received many broken cages on delivery from these jokers so would never order from them again.
    But they usually ask me for pictures and re send the damaged part but still not good enough as you know the first one will be broken!

Sorry not much help but you were lucky to even receive the cage undamaged but not lucky it's still broken down the line!

Have you sent pictures of the fault?

Hi there. Thanks for your response.

We did send pictures but they simply said they would offer just £8 in compensation for us to go fix it under our own steam. It's not an easy fix! They told us that they didn't have a replacement part...

Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with them. To be honest, we looked for the best deal on this cage and they had it. I think we'll be more careful next time.
  • LexyBells
    Options
    These look like the Ferret Nation cages I use.
    I wonder if the parts are interchangeable?

We believe they should be, but apparently, they didn't have any replacement parts.
  • LexyBells
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »

Is that the only way we would be able to take this forward or is there anything else that we have in our consumer rights arsenal? It's typical that it surpassed the 6 month mark by just 10 days!
  • Fluffybunny80
    Options
    As they're in Germany or Belgium I am guessing they'll be informed by their countries laws so our consumer laws won't apply.
    Amazon is governed by Luxemburg law which many people don't realise as well.
  • LexyBells
    Options
    As they're in Germany or Belgium I am guessing they'll be informed by their countries laws so our consumer laws won't apply.
    Amazon is governed by Luxemburg law which many people don't realise as well.

With the best will in the world - I really hope you're wrong about that!! :D

I've taken a punt and gone in with the old 'under the Consumer Rights 2015 Act etc.' Hoping to get a more reasonable response this time. We shall see...
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 March 2018 at 2:28PM
    Options
    LexyBells wrote: »
    With the best will in the world - I really hope you're wrong about that!! :D

I've taken a punt and gone in with the old 'under the Consumer Rights 2015 Act etc.' Hoping to get a more reasonable response this time. We shall see...

How do you think UK law could possibly apply to a company based in Belgium? I mean, it's possible the law is similar...it's perfectly possible that Belgian law is more favourable to your case than UK law...but there's no point quoting UK acts at them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure