Guttering and soffits, fascias.

Options
I have a three bed semi of average size, not a box house they build today, nor is it a mansion. It's about 50 years old and modern in style. Gutters to the front and rear plus no obstructions like conservatories.

Although there is no guttering to the side, some tidying up there will need done to make it match the front and rear. I am in the West Midlands but not in a city or town.

The quote came in at £3,100 which includes scaffolding, they would not consider ladders, even though access is good. I seem to think that is near double where it should be. It was an independent firm, not a national chain.

Any thoughts please?

Comments

• Jimmithecat
    Jimmithecat Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would ask to see the quality of the materials they are using. I wouldn't want the light and flimsey stick on plastic that I have seen.
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    As he said above have the wood removed not overclad. New rules state something like contractors can't spend more than an hour on a ladder or something like that hence scaffolding. Google Mw Roofline in the Midlands get them to quote. Always get 3 quotes.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    I know someone around 50 miles from you going through the same works. They have a small 4 bed detached built around 30 years ago. A local quote with scaffolding was £3500-4500. I cannot recall exactly the figure. This was from a "reputable" company, although I do not rate them. They operate in your area, pm me if you want the name.

They have decided to go with a cowboy operating off a ladder and paying cash only. Obviously this is cheaper but I do not know what price was agreed here. They have no interest in quality, accreditation, guarantees or similar so the cowboy route ticks boxes for them.

You have to decide what your standards are and then move on from there.
  • RMS2
    RMS2 Posts: 335 Forumite
    edited 10 June 2017 at 3:04PM
    Options
    docmatt wrote: »
    As he said above have the wood removed not overclad. New rules state something like contractors can't spend more than an hour on a ladder or something like that hence scaffolding. Google Mw Roofline in the Midlands get them to quote. Always get 3 quotes.

This was to overclad. He said that the original stuff looked like it might be asbestos and the cost of having it tested, taking away if necessary and disposed of, meant that cladding would be better.

Property was built in '65, converted from a detached to two semis. Not sure if converted is right, the original building may have been knocked down, but you get what I mean and the age of the property.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    RMS2 wrote: »
    This was to overclad. He said that the original stuff looked like it might be asbestos and the cost of having it tested, taking away if necessary and disposed of, meant that cladding would be better.

Property was built in '65, converted from a detached to two semis. Not sure if converted is right, the original building may have been knocked down, but you get what I mean and the age of the property.

Step back and think carefully about all this. First most fascia and gutter projects are pure money wasters when the answer is to paint/stain/repair/reseal what is there. Basically it is a current must have fashion accessory.

Second people argue the items need replacing because the paint is peeling, or there is some rot. In your case you may have asbestos. This does not rot so leave it in place. It is doing nobody any harm and this approach will not cost you any money. If the asbestos is dirty then put a coat of emulsion paint on it - that is what I have done with my home and six years later it still looks fine.. By doing so I saved £thousands.
  • RMS2
    RMS2 Posts: 335 Forumite
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    Step back and think carefully about all this. First most fascia and gutter projects are pure money wasters when the answer is to paint/stain/repair/reseal what is there. Basically it is a current must have fashion accessory.

Second people argue the items need replacing because the paint is peeling, or there is some rot. In your case you may have asbestos. This does not rot so leave it in place. It is doing nobody any harm and this approach will not cost you any money. If the asbestos is dirty then put a coat of emulsion paint on it - that is what I have done with my home and six years later it still looks fine.. By doing so I saved £thousands.

I must admit, after the quote, I did think repair & tidy up might be the better option. I know the missus wants replacement, but I'm of the thinking that the 50+ year old iron drain pipes have lasted well and I would prefer to go that route. I have always have a preference for repairing quality than replacing with new and built in obsolescence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure