Cheap cavity wall insulation - possible fraud

Options
I got in touch with an energy company a couple of years back and invited them to come and review our property with a view to fitting cavity wall insulation.

A surveyor came out to review our property and decided that it was suitable and provided a quote. We made an appointment and a truck then came to do the job, but the operator decided that the random-stone faced aspect of the building was not suitable.

They offered to continue with doing the job on 3 sides of the building where random stone was not present. I asked if the quote would be reduced commensurate with the change: apparently not!

I didn't really consider this to be a bargain in my favour and so they left without doing the work.

Some time later an architect reviewing our building informed us that a building info system they used indicated the property was shown as having received cavity wall insulation. It has not! I suspect the company has fraudulently claimed they fitted it...

What to do? Your advice please!

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Chasmmm wrote: »

Some time later an architect reviewing our building informed us that a building info system they used indicated the property was shown as having received cavity wall insulation. It has not! I suspect the company has fraudulently claimed they fitted it...

Surely, the exam question is 'when was the building system database last updated?'
  • Nathan94
    Options
    Chasmmm wrote: »
    I got in touch with an energy company a couple of years back and invited them to come and review our property with a view to fitting cavity wall insulation.

A surveyor came out to review our property and decided that it was suitable and provided a quote. We made an appointment and a truck then came to do the job, but the operator decided that the random-stone faced aspect of the building was not suitable.

They offered to continue with doing the job on 3 sides of the building where random stone was not present. I asked if the quote would be reduced commensurate with the change: apparently not!

I didn't really consider this to be a bargain in my favour and so they left without doing the work.

Are you absolutely certain your house does not have cavity wall insulation?

If so, my advice would be to get some!
    You can save about £160 a year off your energy bills by having such insulation fitted.
    It does cost about £500, sop would pay for itself in about 3 years.
    But you might be able to get it free :money:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-cavity-loft-insulation#freeinsulation
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure