What are those things called that make you overtake a parked vehicle wider?

ospre
ospre Posts: 18 Forumite
Driven down a few narrow streets lately and seen a few parked vehicles with a red and white triangle that is attached to either the drivers or passengers door. The said triangle protrudes into the road so that when you are passing the stationary vehicle it makes you go round it slightly wider. They are also reflective so can been seen from a distance.

Been searching on Google and eBay for the last hour trying to find out what they are called as I'd like to get one for when I park in narrow streets but for the life of me I can't find them.

Does anybody have one or know exactly what they are called?

Comments

• Sounds like those stupid triangle on a stick things you used to see on bicycles, normally ridden by a 75year old, wobbly pensioner.

The thing that makes a car overtake a parked car wider is called 'a driver' though.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Have not seen them attached to parked cars, but these are Warning Triangles, used to place behind broken down vehicles, or warn of a traffic hazard:
    http://www.securitysafetyproducts.co.uk/security/safety-signs/car-and-vehicle-breakdown-hazard-warning-reflective-triangle.php

Not a legal requirement in the UK, but RAC and AA advise drivers to carry them. I would imagine that the ones you saw are local adaptations to fit doors, but I have never seen that myself, so just speculating.

I live in a Close that turns in from a narrow road with lines of cars on both sides, so I know what you are talking about. Not so bad during the day when most are at work, but at night in an area with poor street lighting, I have to drive very carefully. After 12 midnight, all street lights in our rural village are switched off by the Highways department, courtesy of the County Council. Gives brilliant views of the stars, but not so good for walking and driving.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • ospre
    ospre Posts: 18 Forumite
    As you can guess I found hundreds of photos of these, but the ones I've seen are attached to the door about half way up the vehicle and are about 9 inches long, red and white reflective on one side and blue and white on the other.

I'll try and take a photo next time I see one.
  • Robisere wrote: »
    Have not seen them attached to parked cars, but these are Warning Triangles, used to place behind broken down vehicles, or warn of a traffic hazard:
    http://www.securitysafetyproducts.co.uk/security/safety-signs/car-and-vehicle-breakdown-hazard-warning-reflective-triangle.php

Not a legal requirement in the UK, but RAC and AA advise drivers to carry them. I would imagine that the ones you saw are local adaptations to fit doors, but I have never seen that myself, so just speculating.

I live in a Close that turns in from a narrow road with lines of cars on both sides, so I know what you are talking about. Not so bad during the day when most are at work, but at night in an area with poor street lighting, I have to drive very carefully. After 12 midnight, all street lights in our rural village are switched off by the Highways department, courtesy of the County Council. Gives brilliant views of the stars, but not so good for walking and driving.

Don't cars have lights in Lincolnshire?
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Don't cars have lights in Lincolnshire?

How droll. Yes they do. But that does not alter the fact that driving between a line of parked cars on both sides of a narrow road, at night, means being careful to avoid contacting another vehicle. There are more cars parked at night on this particular road than in daytime, because people actually travel to and from work in the day, and come home in the evening. Which is what I said in my post, had you troubled to read it through.

I trust this further explanation is acceptable to your critical eye?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Robisere wrote: »
    How droll. Yes they do. But that does not alter the fact that driving between a line of parked cars on both sides of a narrow road, at night, means being careful to avoid contacting another vehicle. There are more cars parked at night on this particular road than in daytime, because people actually travel to and from work in the day, and come home in the evening. Which is what I said in my post, had you troubled to read it through.

I trust this further explanation is acceptable to your critical eye?

Sounds like you're too old to still be behind the wheel. Something like this maybe more suitable for you. http://www.ringandride.org/service.html
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There is a car that parks on the downhill side in Buckland Dinham that has one of these. I don't swerve round it.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Something like this may be more suitable for you.

We are losing the art of grammatically-correct insulting. Please try to keep up the standards. Oscar Wilde would turn in his grave.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    We are losing the art of grammatically-correct insulting. Please try to keep up the standards. Oscar Wilde would turn in his grave.

I don't think we are.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Step-daughter had one of those cycle attachments while living in Cardiff. She reckoned drivers took it as a target and drove closer instead. She had it clipped by a car many times. I recommended that she glued a six-inch nail to it, but she was too nice.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure