HMRC tax rebate

Options

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

wow, they take 40% + vat, so 48%, of any refund.

That's a fair whack.
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is quite untrue that HMRC can do nothing. HMRC can and must supervise for anti-money laundering purposes. HMRC can prosecute companies that pursue fraudulent refunds.

HMRC can (via the UK Treasury) ask Parliament to change the law so that these dodgy companies are required to abide by PRCT guidelines.

Sorry, but it's not for HMRC to get involved IMHO.

These companies have already been looked into.

They've been forced to adhere several changes to the way they operate.

Each.individual is responsible for their own tax and responsible for reading the small print which accompanies these forms. The small print clearly notifies the customer what a deed/letter of assignment is and what the effect of signing the form is.

Unfortunately many fail to do the latter, yet they continue to sign the documents and send them off.

HMRC offer a number of ways for people to claim refunds and tax relief. It can be done online, bypost and within limits by phone.

These companies will only continue to exist whilst people continue to use them, so if you don't like them dont use them.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • fourseventeen19
    Options
    I don't know if anyone could help me but a few weeks ago I put in a claim for a uniform tax rebate I work as a postman for the Royal Mail for 17 years this was my first time that I have claimed and I filled a form from the HM Revenue and Customs website before printing it off and posting it to the address on the website. I claimed £60 a year backdated to 2014 like this website suggested me. I got a letter today from them saying basically that they gave me an allowance in my tax code in the flat rate expenses and no further expenses are owed to me. I don't really knows what that means so I will not be getting any uniform tax rebate. Have I done anything wrong to get a uniform tax rebate rejected to us?
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What have your tax codes been over the years in question? What tax code have they now given you?
  • fourseventeen19
    Options
    The tax code on my pay slip reads like this 1277M/0
  • fourseventeen19
    Options
    I had this previous tax code from last year 1112L/0
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,072 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The tax code on my pay slip reads like this 1277M/0

This would suggest that you have the basic allowance of 11500 to which has been added 10% for the marriage allowance transfer, so another 1150 to give 12650 and then another 120 or so to take it up to 12770 or thereabouts. Giving a tax code of 1277M.
    Last year you had 11000 plus the 120 or so to give 11120 hence tax code of 1112L.

You have not been refused the uniform washing allowance you already get an allowance that covers this. I say 120 or so as it could be anywhere from 120 to 129, from memory I think it might actually be £125. The last number from the allowance is dropped to get the tax code.
  • fourseventeen19
    Options
    Thank you for that information I did claim marriage tax allowance back in march and we received it in April. What do I need to do to get uniform tax rebate do I have to wait to next year then claim it or has the marriage tax allowance prevented me from doing so?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 August 2017 at 3:36PM
    Options
    As explained by chrisbur it looks like your uniform allowance is already included in your tax code, the on line tax account should show how your code is made up, so you already get the "rebate" each month in your pay packet. Large employers often have an agreement with HMRC to automatically adjust tax codes for this, mine changed when I started with my old employer.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you for that information I did claim marriage tax allowance back in march and we received it in April. What do I need to do to get uniform tax rebate do I have to wait to next year then claim it or has the marriage tax allowance prevented me from doing so?
    you already get the uniform allowance in your tax code. Due to negotiations by your union decades ago RM staff get an enhanced rate of £120 not the "standard" £60 that other workers may get.

many RM staff get it automatically for the reason explained above by molerat. Once it has been given it will remain there until you cease work for RM, you do not claim it each year nor does your marriage allowance claim have any relevance at all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure