Advice please

Options
Looking for advice.
I was off ill from work and on going back to work I was put through a disciplinary then demoted based on a few events when ill. (mental illness ). I was signed off as severe depression and high anxiety can I be disciplined on this when I was signed off?. There was apparently a few issues since I came back as reported by the person who gets my job .... So they are using these alleged events to say I am not capable. The role they have demoted me to does not exist and I have been hit with a redundancy letter straight away . The company's own policy states to support and only if no improvement over an agreed time then discipline. my doctors report which they decided to disregard also states I am much better and there is no reason why I couldn't go back to work under my normal contract duties. I am in Scotland.
My general feeling is on returning to work I should have went back into role as this was not why I was off ,their own policy states support and my doctor also stated well enough. If they were then concerned about anything (my last review right before ill was good) I should have been given like a performance improvement plan and demoted if this failed?
£365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
20,000 step a day challenge

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How long have you been employed there?
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    ma-ri-ella wrote: »
    Looking for advice.
    I was off ill from work and on going back to work I was put through a disciplinary then demoted based on a few events when ill. (mental illness ). I was signed off as severe depression and high anxiety can I be disciplined on this when I was signed off?. There was apparently a few issues since I came back as reported by the person who gets my job .... So they are using these alleged events to say I am not capable. The role they have demoted me to does not exist and I have been hit with a redundancy letter straight away . The company's own policy states to support and only if no improvement over an agreed time then discipline. my doctors report which they decided to disregard also states I am much better and there is no reason why I couldn't go back to work under my normal contract duties. I am in Scotland.
    My general feeling is on returning to work I should have went back into role as this was not why I was off ,their own policy states support and my doctor also stated well enough. If they were then concerned about anything (my last review right before ill was good) I should have been given like a performance improvement plan and demoted if this failed?
    Yes, you can be disciplined whilst off sick.

What have you done wrong? Demotion- if the terms and conditions are reduced - is generally not permitted (assuming you have two years employment anyway) unless there is a specific clause allowing it. But there is not necessarily any reason why they must give an improvement plan. It would all depend on what you have done. They could have just dismissed you instead.

Your doctor may hold any opinion they like - they did not dictate to employers what they must do. Your doctor's opinion is there irrelevant.
  • ma-ri-ella
    Options
    i have been there over 2 years. They claimed inappropriate interactions as been the main part. I had texted someone who I thought was a friend but since it was a work colleague they said I shouldn't have done, especially as I was off work.
    There own policy states support and an improvement plan if needed .
    It was actions whilst sick so I could say not in normal frame of mind which is why I was off.

Thanks for advice
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ma-ri-ella wrote: »
    i have been there over 2 years. They claimed inappropriate interactions as been the main part. I had texted someone who I thought was a friend but since it was a work colleague they said I shouldn't have done, especially as I was off work.
    There own policy states support and an improvement plan if needed .
    It was actions whilst sick so I could say not in normal frame of mind which is why I was off.

Thanks for advice

What did you text? Because let's be fair here, it was something inappropriate.
  • ma-ri-ella
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    What did you text? Because let's be fair here, it was something inappropriate.

At the time I had a metal breakdown and I had asked them for help to stop me being suicidal. I had reached out to what I thought was a friend when I was in need
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport