Nice areas of York

Options
Thinking about re-locating.

Which are the nice areas of York?

Comments

• nooney
    nooney Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    We live in York, we re-located 4 years ago and it's a fantastic place, we are close to the walls just off Bishopthorpe Road, there loads of shops,restaurants pubs cafes and charity shops. So you don't need to go into York for any shopping etc. Bishy road was named" the Notting Hill of the north" by the Times earlier this year. There is a real sense of community.
    As you can tell I love it.
  • OneYorkshireLass
    Options
    nooney wrote: »
    We live in York, we re-located 4 years ago and it's a fantastic place, we are close to the walls just off Bishopthorpe Road, there loads of shops,restaurants pubs cafes and charity shops. So you don't need to go into York for any shopping etc. Bishy road was named" the Notting Hill of the north" by the Times earlier this year. There is a real sense of community.
    As you can tell I love it.

Thanks for the info. I've had a mooch around on Google Street View and it does look nice. Does that part have lots of students? I was trying to keep away from the student areas, although I don't really want family-oriented areas either as I don't have kids.
  • nooney
    nooney Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    There are some students and also lots of families but also retirees like us enjoying the atmosphere.
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I am just moving to Pickering which is an even nicer area of York...

Well it has a York postcode :D
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • Andy7856
    Andy7856 Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In summary, avoid Tanghall, Bell Farm, Foxwood, Chapelfields.
    To note that Heslington, Osbaldwick are become student ghettos due.
  • MiffyMFW
    MiffyMFW Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Andy 7856 has given a good summary and I would also add Kingsway & Burdyke Ave to the list. Though if you avoid those 2 streets Clifton and particularly Rawcliffe are good areas. About 20/25mins to walk into town but on bus routes.
    Mortgage balance £21,251.37 2 Oct 2019
    Mortgage balance £63,086.48 24th Mar 2015
    Original mortgage end date Aug 2033, aiming for Jan 2022
    2019 MFW #132 £4350/£3000
  • pinkparrott
    Options
    My brother in law lived in bishop thorpe For along time and I always thought it was posh ( so did he ;)
    Grocery Challenge Feb 14 £500 / Spent £572.10!
    March 14 £500 / spent £488.45 :j
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depends what you want and what you can afford

Transport should be a key consideration (esp with closure of Lendal Bridge)

House type - Bishopthorpe Rd is loads of (mainly victorian) terraces with the parking issues that come with them.

Traditional 'good' areas within Ring Road are Fulford, Stockton Lane/Heworth, Tadcaster Road/The Mount, Bootham
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,555 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It also depends on what sort of budget you're after, and what size property you want / need.

Many of the central, older areas of York are typically 2-3 bed terraces with, as another poster has said, on street parking issues.

There's quite a bit of council housing in the areas mentioned above by Andy and Miffy.

The Lendal Bridge closure relates to the bridge nearest the station, which is currently shut between 1030am-5pm daily for most motor vehicles. The council are almost certain to make this permanent (pilot ongoing at the moment) and want to extend hours to 7am-7pm, which will have big impact on commuters.

Would also say that York is not cheap; it came top of a survey for house costs outside the south of England last year, if memory serves right.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I've had a mooch around on Google Street View and it does look nice. Does that part have lots of students? I was trying to keep away from the student areas, although I don't really want family-oriented areas either as I don't have kids.

If you don't have kids and don't want to be surrounded by "Yummy Mummies" I really wouldn't head to the Bishopthorpe Road area. Plus the house prices there are rocketing.

My advice is to rent here first and then have a good look around - that's what we did 20 years ago and it worked well. If you REALLY want to buy then have some frank conversations with estate agents about what you DO and DON'T want, and keep coming back to this thread.

York is a GREAT place to live. You won't regret it. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure