Buyers with no feedback - advice needed

Options
2»

Comments

• chancesare_2
    chancesare_2 Posts: 1,788 Forumite
    Options
    There is no need to send it Special delivery. Royal Mail "signed for" (this is the new name for recorded delivery) will do just fine.

If it's £20 a free certificate of posting will suffice.

Although, I don't think mobiles are covered unless sent Special Delivery.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    There isn't an exemption for compo for mobiles sent via regular mail. It's only valuables such as money, jewellery etc that isn't covered.
    The problem with using a cert of postage for claiming for lost mail is that you often have to rely on the intended recipient filling out and returning a form that RM send to them.
    If they don't do this then normally RM won't pay out.

I've made a couple of claims from lost recorded delivery items (both fairly low value) and Royal Mail didn't ask the recipients to confirm that they didn't receive the goods.

Provided that the OP charged enough to cover a signed for service, I would recommend that they send it that way.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Be careful, selling phones on eBay can be dangerous.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Be careful, selling phones on eBay can be dangerous.

Do elaborate, I am on the edge of my seat.....
  • edinburghgirl
    Options
    Make sure you keep a note of the imei number and state this in your listing.
    I was worried about the same thing a couple of months ago in the same situation but think it was mainly people looking for a cheap payg to send abroad.
    If it's low value get a certificate of postage
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2014 at 1:22PM
    Options
    Do elaborate, I am on the edge of my seat.....

Muppet.

There are plenty of cases of people selling phones on eBay, to have a SNAD or something, the phone arrive back, only to find it isn't the phone at all or isn't the same phone. It's either a broken one, or a stolen one with a blocked IMEI, or in several cases even plastic replicas you find in phone shops. The seller becomes powerless to prove that the incident has taken place. I would be wary selling any electrical item because of this.

The jokers running eBay still protect the buyers more than the sellers so will often rule in favour of the buyer, despite clear evidence demonstrating a failure to return the correct item.

In one case I know, having been told the iPad he sold was physically damaged, the nervous seller weighed the return item using his scales and noted using photographs that the unopened return package weighed significantly less than the official weight of an iPad unopened package. The return package unsurprisingly contained everything (charger, instructions etc) except the actual iPad. Despite having photographs of the tracking number on the package, which matched the one input from the return buyer into eBay, and evidence to show the package weighed significantly less than that of an original iPad box, eBay still ruled in favour of the buyer.

Just beware.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Muppet.

There are plenty of cases of people selling phones on eBay, to have a SNAD or something, the phone arrive back, only to find it isn't the phone at all or isn't the same phone. It's either a broken one, or a stolen one with a blocked IMEI, or in several cases even plastic replicas you find in phone shops. The seller becomes powerless to prove that the incident has taken place. I would be wary selling any electrical item because of this.

The jokers running eBay still protect the buyers more than the sellers so will often rule in favour of the buyer, despite clear evidence demonstrating a failure to return the correct item.

In one case I know, having been told the iPad he sold was physically damaged, the nervous seller weighed the return item using his scales and noted using photographs that the unopened return package weighed significantly less than the official weight of an iPad unopened package. The return package unsurprisingly contained everything (charger, instructions etc) except the actual iPad. Despite having photographs of the tracking number on the package, which matched the one input from the return buyer into eBay, and evidence to show the package weighed significantly less than that of an original iPad box, eBay still ruled in favour of the buyer.

Just beware.

Crossing the road can be dangerous. Selling a phone on ebay can be problematic, but it isn't dangerous.

For every seller having a problem selling a phone there are thousands selling without issue.

But don't label yourself a muppet for not knowing. You might want to have a read of the sticky on postage and ask if you need more help. ;)
  • doug.doug
    Options
    My tppensworth

,don't post often so please be gentle.

I mainly sell very low item values but my son recently had an i-phone for sale which attracted bids from new members with 0 feedback. Twice it was sold and never paid. Opened up resolution centre etc and of course eventualy got fees back.

That then presented it's own new problem. I run a very, very tight budget, and was due £50 in fees to ebay one month entirley due to the non-sale of the phone. This was money I really could not afford to pay, but if I didn't then eventually could have my account suspended etc. I contacted ebay by email and live chat to explain in detail my inability to pay, they kept saying not to worry as my fees were refunded(true). they missed the point entirely that I still had to pay the £50 fee anyway first before it could be creditied off next month's invoice. It meant a real sacrifice on my part to pay. I was also advised that as the following month I was about £45 in credit I could request a cash refund into my paypal account, which of course I did, but they also said it could take up to 30 days to be sent. 30 days in this modern technological age? That is quite frankly astounding and emailed them explaining my hardship to no avail. It took about 25 days to be refunded into paypal. Quite frankly I think this is outrageous, but what can you do?

By the way, eventually gave up on selling the phone on ebay, my son sold it on gumtree for a lot less than he had hoped from ebay, but at least it was hard cash and after ebay fees etc probably wasn't that much less in the end.

Sorry - rant over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport