Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What's the attraction of Tesco?
  • racing_blue
    racing_blue Posts: 961 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    What's the attraction of Tesco?

Well, it's mainly historical. I bought some shares in Tesco years ago because I liked shopping there. Then the share price dropped like hot cakes, something to do with profit warnings, horseburgers and spicy accounting. But I still liked Tesco so I bought a whole load more when they were really cheap. Then they rose quite a lot and suddenly Tesco made up nearly 20% of my portfolio which was too much, and so I sold a whole lot back in April. Now they make up 6%.

I'm an optomist at heart and was in my local Tesco this evening actually. It was pretty grim but they were shifting a lot of food and petrol. Reckon people are going to keep on needing that stuff and Tesco is going to keep delivering it
  • racing_blue
    Options
    Update #3. Quarter 3, 2015.

Faced with a choice. Should I keep posting here, airing my dirty investment laundry in public? I decided yes, but changed the title. Maybe I'll learn something. Maybe someone else will learn something - even if it is simply "don't buy Greek ETFs" (who would have thought, eh)

Three things have happened to my portfolio this month.

First, I sold a share: My holding in Spanish engineering company Gamesa had outgrown its place in the portfolio, so I took some papas fritas off the table.

Secondly, I reinvested those chips plus some more in my catch-all of choice, Vanguard's World Stock Index ETF. My target is for this to make up 30% of my portfolio.

Thirdly, and you can slap me with a fish for this, I just bought shares in Volkswagen. I did no research, I had no plan. It was a punt good and proper.

My Top 10 holdings are now:

1) 28% Vanguard FTSE All World ETF
    2) 19% Cash
    3) 9% Lyxor ETF Commodities
    4) 7% Aluminium ETF
    5) 6% Tesco PLC
    6) 4% ISHARES FTSE BRIC 50
    7) 4% SAINSBURY(J)
    8) 4% GLOBAL X FUNDS GREECE 20 ETF
    9) 3% ETF - Brent Oil 1 month USD
    10) 3% Electricite De France

It has been a quarter of falling prices & the bottom line has taken a pummelling. But overall, events have brought me quite close to my target asset allocation. Which is now cash 19%; commodities 20%; world stock market tracker 28%; other equities 33%. To answer Bowlhead99's question, how many moves did it take to get there... Nine. Seven buys, two sells.

Sitting within a shout of target asset allocation, how do I feel? Unsure. Maybe I'm wrong about commodities. The reason I included them was because they seemed low in value and I thought might offer some protection against unexpected inflation. Clearly it was wrong-headed to think I could identify when commodities were cheap (my oil, aluminium ETFs are now down 30%). But was I wrong to think that they might offer some protection against inflation? What else might I consider to do this?

I have come up with another "rule" to protect me from giving in to this sort of thinking while commodity prices are low, for example. The rule is: when tinkering with target asset allocation, wait a full year before doing anything.

So my full ruleset is now:

1) Target asset allocation: 20% cash, 20% commodities, 30% Global equity ETF, 30% other equities.
    2) At most three trades per quarter: 2 buy + 1 sell.
    3) Rebalance once per year on 31st March.
    4) Don't sell stuff at a loss. Wait.
    5) If thinking of changing asset allocation, hold that thought for a year before acting.

Regards, RB
  • grey_gym_sock
    Options
    I have come up with another "rule" to protect me from giving in to this sort of thinking while commodity prices are low, for example. The rule is: when tinkering with target asset allocation, wait a full year before doing anything.

i do quite like this meta-rule.
    1) Target asset allocation: 20% cash, 20% commodities, 30% Global equity ETF, 30% other equities.

20% commodities is very high. 5-10% is more typical. (i don't even have a commodities allocation!)

20% cash is a bit high. how about amending the label to "cash/bonds", even if it stays all in cash for now?

30% "other equities" is a bit worrying, because that sounds like "play money" (and the actual holdings do tend to confirm this :)). it could be fine to have 30% which is in equities but not in a global equities tracker; but perhaps it could be given a clearer strategy (or split among several strategies)?
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Another point on your commodity investments - they are all in ETFs which, as far as I can see, attempt to follow the commodity prices. It seems to me that you would do better by investing in mining companies etc as some of these now provide significant dividends. If the prices dont rise you still get a steady return.

20% (or more if you include the commodity exposure of your other funds) seems wildly risky to me. The way you are doing it makes the risk worse.
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    Another point on your commodity investments - they are all in ETFs which, as far as I can see, attempt to follow the commodity prices. It seems to me that you would do better by investing in mining companies etc as some of these now provide significant dividends. If the prices dont rise you still get a steady return.

the argument for adding commodites to a portfolio is not that they give good returns in themselves, but that they can improve the returns of the whole portfolio, because they behave very differently to equities, bonds, etc. so commodities may shoot up when other things are down, providing an opportunity to rebalance out of commodities into whatever is down. so i think there is a possible rationale for having a bit of "pure" commodities exposure (though not as much as 20%!).

however, there is the issue that commodities exposure isn't always so "pure", when you consider the effects of contango / backwardation. which is part of what's put me off having a commodities allocation.
  • racing_blue
    Options
    Grey Gym Sock and Linton, thanks for your feedback. A lot of that makes sense. GGS I agree with your comment about needing some sort of plan for equities outside of a global tracker. Although my overall approach is now only 30-50% random, it was 100% random until last year! Room for improvement, absolutely.

Commodities... back in 2009, share prices were in freefall but the price of gold kept on rising. Interested in this, I came across a link described as "a permament portfolio" - something "for all seasons" - It was 25% stocks, 25% cash, 25% bonds, 25% gold. The historical performance of this was good - almost as good as anything else including 100% equity. But the volatility was less. There were fewer great years and there were fewer terrible years. That is the kind of thing I'm chasing. ETFs may not be a perfect way to do it but I certainly don't want to buy anything real, wet or shiny (what would the wife say). All I can do at this stage is watch and learn, with skin in the game. No meddling for one year.

Bonds... I just don't see the advantage over cash for a small ISA investor like me. Except, I'm interested in TIPS & if I move away from commodities at any stage, it may be towards TIPS.
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    Options
    the "permanent portfolio" has a decent record, but then so has just about any sensible mixed-asset portfolio - i.e. they all tend to have returns a bit less than 100% equities, but with a lot less volatility. the unusual thing about the "permanent portfolio" is the high allocation to commodities (specifically, gold). that would make me nervous. i wonder whether the PP has been a bit lucky so far. but perhaps that's just me, and the PP is fine.

but if the PP (or any commodity-heavy) portfolio is fine, then the important thing is to stick with it. how many ppl can do that? for instance, gold was consistently losing value for about 20 years starting in 1980. how many PP holders stuck with the plan throughout that period? i.e. kept selling their best-performing assets in order to top their gold up to 25% again? i would think: very few. it's when gold started rising again that the PP seemed to become more popular. like any investment strategy, the most important thing is to stick with it. all strategies have good and bad periods. if you keep switching strategies, you are probably following fashions, i.e. switching from a strategy that's just had a bad patch into 1 that's just had a good patch - perhaps at just the moment when the old strategy is about to start doing well, and the new 1 is about to go off the boil.

that's why i find it worrying that you talk about "if I move away from commodities at any stage ...".

re bonds vs cash: is your cash getting high interest rates from current accounts? if so, that is perhaps better than you could get from shorter-term bonds. (though there is a case for some long-term bonds, because they tend to do well in a deflationary environment - that is the idea of the bonds in the PP.)

TIPS are the US government's index-linked bonds. do you mean the UK equivalent, index-linked gilts?
  • zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Options
    RB, I have to say that this thread provides an interesting and quite amusing counterpoint to all the other threads on this forum, you know the ones "Slow and Steady". I just love your shoot-from-the-hip ballsy (suicidal?) punts on things that I really hope pan out for you. I have to admit that I don't have the guts to go down that route myself, but I admire a man that has faith in his own gut feelings. More power to your elbow, and keep up the good work.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    zolablue25 wrote: »
    RB, I have to say that this thread provides an interesting and quite amusing counterpoint to all the other threads on this forum, you know the ones "Slow and Steady". I just love your shoot-from-the-hip ballsy (suicidal?) punts on things that I really hope pan out for you. I have to admit that I don't have the guts to go down that route myself, but I admire a man that has faith in his own gut feelings. More power to your elbow, and keep up the good work.

Sorry, but it's not a good example to follow - there are no positives. OK, if you are playing with money that doesnt really matter then it adds to the fun. But it's not investing, it's gaming or gambling. If the money involved is life-changing the game being played is Russian Roulette.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback