Millionaire Challenge

Options

Comments

• Bmth100
    Bmth100 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    Options
    Tink, I wish I could follow that mantra but I can't stop myself having just 1 Costa a week when I grab my petrol.. !

Kaya, don't stress yourself over the first too much. Great if you can get it, but I got 69% and it really annoyed me to have worked my bum off for it and lost out because of 1% in 1 coursework .. !!

Good day today. Hit level 2 on Roamler and can get paid tasks now, I've seen 2 £5 tasks next to my workplace that I'm going to hit tomorrow lunch time. I've also just cashed out $7 from Spare5. Great start when I only got these apps Monday! That's £15 already and I'm going to put it on a credit card
  • PoorGuyNextDoor
    Options
    Hey guys just catching up with the most recent pages on this thread, i need to post alot more. Im slowly making progress, my mindset to paying off debts is getting better and i feel so much more motivated. Right now im paying off over £1,100 pcm of debt after you take interest into acount so im making progress every month even if the amount of money in my bank isnt increasing. I took this weekend off to recover as been feeling very tired recently due to constant work, work, work but how else will i pay these debts off and start my quest to be a millionaire?!

So its feet up, football on tv today (not the greatest of games to be honest) snacks in hand. Iv had a little tweak around with my budget which has seen me end up getting sky for half price for a year with two months payments in credit put into our account for staying.

Im on the laptop to check up on these forums and look into ppi claims as iv had a fair few loans i think i could be onto something(all my loans have been from 2009 onwards though, does it matter?)

Hope im around here to post alot more as these threads really motivate me.
    Can now be found in the Millionaire Challenge thread :beer:
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 September 2016 at 2:56AM
    Options
    Hello Everyone....can't sleep so thought that seeing as I haven't posted in a while I would use my insomnia productively........

PGND. You are doing really well on the debt clearing - hope you enjoyed the footie.

BMTH. - well 1 costa coffee per week isn't exactly pushing the boat out.....think we can allow that one. :D

TInk.....how nice to hear from you, the Greek Holiday home sounds fab. How exciting.

Kaya....hope you are enjoying your course. Whilst a First Class degree is very nice, don't push yourself too hard. A second is fine too.

And to everyone else......hope you are all well and happy.

Well now. Here's my catch up news.

Unfortunately I've had a couple of set backs recently. The car crash you know about, am slowly recovering but my whiplash injuries were actually quite bad and I've been struggling a bit. Still going to Physio, the treatment can be a bit rough at times but I am sure it will do me good in the long run......

Last week DS2 and I were burgled. The intruder actually came into our home whilst I was in the kitchen. I heard a noise upstairs and went to investigate and found the low life on the landing. He flew down the stairs and out of the door. I made no attempt to stop him, I just got out of his way so he could escape. I wasn't hurt.

The police and the insurance company have been wonderful. They commended me for staying calm and for being level headed and not trying to apprehend him.

Re the house purchase. I have decided to back out. There were some issues that I wasn't too happy with so I felt it best not to proceed. Plus I just feel I need to step back a bit and "regroup" after my escapades. The timing just isn't right. I just can't be bothered right now.

I've had two near misses within a matter of weeks, first a near fatal car crash and then what could have been quite a dangerous situation with the intruder.

I am a very lucky woman.....there's definitely an angel watching over me but I'm using up my nine lives pretty fast.:rotfl:

I think I just need a few weeks to rest up and get "centred" again. Just as soon as I am well enough I am aiming to join a gym and get serious about getting fitter. I have started walking and doing some yoga.

My plan is to keep on saving - currently managing about 50 per cent of my net income. I need to do a few bits and pieces here, just a few decorative flourishes, nothing too onerous or expensive.

I have been invited to Barcelona in November - should be a nice little break.

And .........saving the best till last........my really big news.

I have booked a trip to the Amazon. :j:j - 42 days.

It's not till January 2018 but definitely something to look forward to and plenty of time to save my pennies.
  • Kayalana99
    Options
    Gosh LL, how scary but glad no one was hurt which is the main thing! Sounds like you'll have travelled the world in no time :)

I'm really regretting not doing a Maths degree now, I've not changed my mind as I want a Business degree and I enjoy it - just Maths has always come really easily to me where as English isn't my strong point..and of course Business is all essay writing... :( although I'm sure Maths will have a share of writing to, I do also think employers think Maths is more impressive to employers but also depends what job you were going for I would believe.

Not much happening right now, I've sort of caught up but not sure if I'll get behind again. 2/4 weddings have been edited and delivered, my last of the four weddings (4 Sat's in a row) is for this weekend and just about to start editing my 3rd...hope that makes sense.

Normally I'd sit down on a Wed and just edit all day as kids are with my Mum but spending the day with my friend for her birthday but I'm sure I'll make time to crack on.

Eldest has his first full day at school today and is offically doing 9-3 at school, youngest I took out this morning and is fast asleep in the pram so I'm really ...really... enjoying a bit of peace...although I know it won't last lol.

I want to get back on track with my extra plans but trying to give myself a bit of a break to as I'm phyiscally & mentally exhasted after a wedding it takes me a few days to really recover - I do need to get fitter and my diet has been going well + I've been excerising more but only lost a couple pounds so far but it's a start. Got a 12 hour wedding end of Oct (most are 8 hours) so plan is to stay active so I can handle it better when it comes around.

Trying to think about my future, but unf because my school doesn't have after school club, I'd be looking at £40 a day childcare (with both of them in school, lets not go into school hoildays to..eep) and will a full-time job it's just not financianlly worth while me going to work unless I can earn around 20k+ from the off (which perhaps is possible once I get my degree)..so it makes sense for me to work from home so I can still do the school runs. Of course, their is always moving him schools which I'd be happy to do but we'd need to move house first but this would cut childcare down by half and make it more worthwhile.

Considering doing my degree over a longer period so once youngest goes to school I'll be able to focus more time on actually making money, but I'll see how I feel next year. It's going to be strange having childfree time and going to make most of next 3 months of just me and my youngest...or at least try to before Xmas rush hits :(

- On a side note, I'm advertising myself around £400 for 8-hours and I commented this on a facebook post recently and some photographer commented that I can't be making a living wage and I needed to raise my prices, got sort of chatting to him and he said I should be charging £1,000 based on my portfolio and I had 3 other photographers chime in and say I was worth it. Was nice to hear.

I honestly don't feel like I'd be worth £1,000, but I'm planning on pushing my prices up moving into 2017 and seeing how I get on, but fingers crossed if I'm still doing this by 2018 I'd like to be charging the £1,000+ mark. Still got a lot to learn but fingers crossed I'm going in the right direction, I have days where I want to pack up and days when I'm high on a cloud ...it's a love hate relationship for sure... lol
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 September 2016 at 3:29PM
    Options
    £1k is about the going rate for a good photographer. I would definitely start inching your prices up. You put a lot of work into it - you should be rewarded for your efforts.

Now that the little ones are getting to the nursery and school stages your life will be much easier but as you say child care is expensive and good care is difficult to find.

I think working from home will probably be your best option until they are both older. They have a lot of poorly days when they first start school, then there's all the holidays, teacher training days, snow days etc......childcare can be a real headache.

With one child it's not quite so bad, but with two you really do have to be earning a fair bit to make it worthwhile.

When my two were the age yours are now I was averaging £30k (with commission and bonuses) and that was over 25 years ago.

After a while I tried part time working taking a huge pay cut - term time wasn't too bad but holidays just wiped out my earnings. DH and worked out it was hardly worth the effort so I gave it all up to work from home.

I saved a small fortune on work expenses such as clothes, lunches, a cleaner, child care, after school activities, not being able to cook properly or budget effectively.

We were no worse off and then once I started a bit of antique dealing etc I soon made a bit extra.

By this time my husband's career was really taking off and he had to travel extensively, often working away from home so he was happy for me to be the main support network so he could concentrate on work.

Sounds a bit old fashioned I know but it worked very well for us and TBH the kids were much happier. They didn't really like being "farmed out" to nurseries or childminders. They much preferred to be at home with me. The younger one in particular found it less stressful - he suffered from dyslexia amd dyspraxia and he just needed plenty of quiet time because he found school a bit overwhelming some times.

Anyhooooo.... You'll just have to see how you go but please don't think that working from home is a cop out. For many parents it's a perfect solution, especially when, as the children get older, they can get involved in the "family business".

I actually started my degree when the youngest was about 7 so you are streets ahead of me......:D

Ps - "travelling the world". Still loads of,places left on my bucket list. Lol.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes I agree with all your points and it's the conclusion I'm coming to, if I can make even £300-400 a month running a business from home, it would work out better then me going out to work full time and paying for childcare (and as you say it's all the headache of them being ill and school hoildays) although I'm hoping I can earn a lot more then that through mutilple avenues once I have more time on my hands.

Husband is job hunting ATM as he's very under paid for what he does and he's had a few people interested but no set interviews as yet (he did get offered a couple a few weeks back but he couldn't get the time of to go!) but hopefully he'll be looking at 3-5k pay rise when he leaves. (Also a chance once his notice hits his managers desk where he is, they may offer him a pay rise and he may not move)

I've probabally said but once you take the amount he spends in petrol a month of his wage, he's on less then minimum so it doesn't make sense. Even just getting a job closer but on the same wage would save us £150-200 a month.

The only issue is I want to go out to work, although I suppose if I was somehow earning £1,000 + a month from home I'd be happy lol. I just want to have the income to go...maybe that's what I'll have to aim for. I suppose the weddings help as I'm actually out the door working with people rather then just sat at a desk.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • tinktay84
    Options
    LL,

seriously impressed you kept your cool.its very hard to do so when someone is in your personal space and possibly has your belongings!
    trip to the amazon sounds amazing and definitely on my to do list.

We have cuba booked for next year..we booked the cheapest all inclusive and plan on driving over to Havana to take in the culture

we have decided against a greek holiday home for now and have decided cuba will be our last big adventure for a while ( change my mind like my underwear so don't be surprised if this changes haha)

We are almost straight but no closer to being able to get another house to rent out.

we are quite happy in our lives at the moment - the farmhouse we saw has been rented out (someone crazy enough to pay big money for something that needs a lot of work)

neither of us aspire to a big house, we would be happier with a small house but detached or with land..unfortunately the amount of development nowadays means detached houses with more than a wheelie bin width between you and your neighbour are few and far between around here
    trainee millionaire (aka not there yet!)
  • Connor1234
    Options
    Henry Ford said "nothing is particularly hard if you break it down into smaller tasks" or something to that effect, I'm doing the same but to £100,000.

mostly I've been going on ebay, filtering by within 10 miles & collection only on car bits, buying them and then selling them on relevant forums or just relisting and posting them. Only just started but it's going well.

I'd recommend that, so long as you don't live anywhere near me :)
  • Bmth100
    Options
    Connor1234 wrote: »
    Henry Ford said "nothing is particularly hard if you break it down into smaller tasks" or something to that effect, I'm doing the same but to £100,000.

mostly I've been going on ebay, filtering by within 10 miles & collection only on car bits, buying them and then selling them on relevant forums or just relisting and posting them. Only just started but it's going well.

I'd recommend that, so long as you don't live anywhere near me :)

Interesting .. I like it. Why is this successful - are people posting things cheaply on eBay to get rid, and you're just being more patient and pricing it up?
  • Bmth100
    Options
    I have decided that I'm going to squirrel any "extra" money that I make into an ISA so that it doesn't get sucked into our daily account and feel meaningless. Then see how it stacks up in 6-12 months.

This week I've made:
    $5 on Spare5
    €16.25 on TextBroker
    $30 on Upwork (just formed an ongoing client relationship for many more of these!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback