Home insurance claim..Do I have a case?

Options
Yesterday our neighbours house was burgled. As we are having a house renovation, we stored all our valuables in their house and every thing was cleared. I know it is a long shot but is there a chance that our home content insurance will cover our losses? Is it worth me contacting them or shall I just take it on the chin and move on?

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    sam1970 wrote: »
    Yesterday our neighbours house was burgled. As we are having a house renovation, we stored all our valuables in their house and every thing was cleared. I know it is a long shot but is there a chance that our home content insurance will cover our losses? Is it worth me contacting them or shall I just take it on the chin and move on?

Yes, you should contact your insurers or at least read the terms of your contents cover. Ours says that the policy covers
    Any loss or damage to your contents or business equipment:
    while they are being transferred (in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man) between your home and your new home or to or from a furniture storage facility, bank or safe deposit including loss or damage caused by scratching or denting, or domestic pets; or when you take them away from your home on a temporary basis anywhere in the United Kingdom, Isle of Man and Channel Islands,
    caused by:
    – fire, smoke, explosion, lightning or earthquake;
    – riot, civil commotion, strike, labour or political disturbance;
    – malicious acts or vandalism;
    – theft or attempted theft.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Be careful about contacting your insurers - unless you are pretty sure that your policy covers the loss, and you are sure that you intend to claim.

If you phone to say that you've had a loss, it might be recorded and impact future premiums - even if the loss isn't covered by the policy and/or you decide not to claim.

Here's a newspaper story about it: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/sep/30/insurance-query-higher-premiums
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure