Made a mess of things

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you have a Union, as I always imagine some big company to have a Union - would you not have something like an Employee Support line that you could access?

"Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice
    at the end of the day saying I'll try again tomorrow"

My advice to my brother who lost his job after 10 years plus service, recently let go, after seeing out the disciplinary process was simply to ask directly outright what would be written about him in a reference. (He was un-unionised so take strength from all the help you can muster.)

Take care x
  • MissB2017
    MissB2017 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your help.
    I have a lot to do on Tuesday, speak to my union etc. I have also spoken to an agency and was honest with her, I am wondering if temping is the way to go to try new things and see what suits me?

I do like my job but it has made me ill, I was coping fine for a good 8 months then suddenly in May it started creeping in again and all went completely wrong the last month where I stupidly lied about my real reasons for needing emergency leave.

I will ask what will be written in a reference and hopefully all will become clearer after the bank holiday, about my options and what I need to do for the best.

Right now though, I am not good health wise so I may not have much choice but to find alternative employment or take time off sick.
  • MissB2017
    MissB2017 Posts: 26 Forumite
    edited 17 September 2017 at 6:40PM
    Options
    So I've raised a grievance and it's being heard tomorrow, my occupational health report has just come back and stipulates reasonable adjustments which also highlights their failures when I tried to talk to them about how the position I was put in was making me feel stressed. Also the the days I've took have gone down as unpaid now......

I have my disciplinary on 26th September, I've decided to fight it as I was under so much pressure that I wasn't in the right frame of mind, I also tried to talk to my managers but was ignored. Under ACAS employers have duty of care to employees where work is making them ill, this hasn't happened. Besides if I resigned they could still go through the process during my notice period.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    MissB2017 wrote: »
    So I've raised a grievance and it's being heard tomorrow, my occupational health report has just come back and stipulates reasonable adjustments which also highlights their failures when I tried to talk to them about how the position I was put in was making me feel stressed. Also the the days I've took have gone down as unpaid now......

I have my disciplinary on 26th September, I've decided to fight it as I was under so much pressure that I wasn't in the right frame of mind, I also tried to talk to my managers but was ignored. Under ACAS employers have duty of care to employees where work is making them ill, this hasn't happened. Besides if I resigned they could still go through the process during my notice period.
    A greivance for what exactly?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Next week I am going to call my union and see where I stand

How did the call go, did you run the grievance past them?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • MissB2017
    Options
    Yes they suggested I put it in after things came to light that have been a mitigating factor in me losing my !!!! and behaving out of character.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, but I have to say this. Mitigation is irrelevant. The employer must listen to it. They need pay no attention to it after that. And mitigation is irrelevant in law. And work did not cause your illness. You lied to get leave. That is your fault. There are no excuses for lying. Go in with the attitude that your employer is responsible for what you did, and that will make things worse.

I'm perplexed why your union told you to do something, and then didn't appear to give you any support. When we support a member we don't tell them what to do. We do it with them.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Yes they suggested I put it in after things came to light that have been a mitigating factor in me losing my !!!! and behaving out of character.
    But for what????????
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • polgara
    Options
    Oh dear....I'll be honest in my opinion you may have been given a lesser sanction due to your mitigation, however bunging in a grievance, to me, shows a lack of ownership of your wrongdoing which could impact on my thinking.

If your union have suggested this strategy then you need them to support you thoroughly
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    polgara wrote: »
    Oh dear....I'll be honest in my opinion you may have been given a lesser sanction due to your mitigation, however bunging in a grievance, to me, shows a lack of ownership of your wrongdoing which could impact on my thinking.

If your union have suggested this strategy then you need them to support you thoroughly

I agree. TBH I know different unions do things differently, but I would NEVER tell someone to submit a grievance alongside them being up for a disciplinary which, I am sorry to have to say, is deserved. It doesn't matter what good excuses someone gives - lying in order to get paid time off work is a serious offence and more likely to result in a dismissal if one keeps annoying the employer! And the OP doesn't seem to appreciate this, but dismissal is a perfectly reasonable outcome for what they have done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure