Clear Score points down due to recently joining electoral role, but joined 14yrs ago!

Options
I registered with Clear Score just over a year ago and ever since it has showed my credit score as 520. I have no debt and don't even have credit cards. But today (January 2018) I received an email saying my credit score had changed so I logged in to Clear Score and checked this. It shows my credit score as down by 9 points. When I look at what's changed this month it says, "You are now on the electoral role at your current address." The problem is I have been on the electoral role at my current address for 14 years! So should I be worried? Could there be some fraud/ID theft happening?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Check what details they have for you. I'd imagine it's just a system gremlin.

Remember also that there is a difference between being on the ER and a CRA knowing that you are on the ER.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Should you be worried about your score dropping - then no
  • gklm
    Options
    Not too worried about the score dropping but more about the possibility of someone using my name at another address.
  • gklm
    Options
    Does that mean a CRA could have recently done a check on my credit rating and noted that I'm on the electoral role? If so, why would finding me on the electoral role lower my credit rating?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CRAs don't check your credit rating. They maintain a file of data on you - that will include data from lenders and councils.

The credit score has dropped because it's fictional. It's not a measure of your credit rating.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    gklm wrote: »
    I registered with Clear Score just over a year ago and ever since it has showed my credit score as 520. I have no debt and don't even have credit cards. But today (January 2018) I received an email saying my credit score had changed so I logged in to Clear Score and checked this. It shows my credit score as down by 9 points. When I look at what's changed this month it says, "You are now on the electoral role at your current address." The problem is I have been on the electoral role at my current address for 14 years! So should I be worried? Could there be some fraud/ID theft happening?

My score is 480 but never stopped me getting the best offers on credit cards. As other contributors are quick to point out its just fictional and what is on your credit file and how you manage your commitments is the influential factor.
  • bengal-stripe
    bengal-stripe Posts: 3,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gklm wrote: »
    I received an email saying my credit score had changed......When I look at what's changed this month it says, "You are now on the electoral role at your current address."

Same thing happened to me today: I received the same mail and checked. Although my score hasn't changed, I'm 'now on the electoral roll'.

I've been on the electoral roll (at the same address) for much longer than I have been on Clearscore and every month previously Clearsore listed that fact as one of the positive aspects for my rating.

Probably just a gremlin in the system.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's probably caused by the yearly electoral roll update. It seems that once a year electoral data is rechecked/updated according to a notification* i had from Equifax.

*Before anyone says anything, no i am not paying for this service!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure