Becoming a private tutor- all questions here

Options

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    The PGCE has now been changed to Petles and Kettles? Er...no idea what the letters are - either way the course is the same, two years. Oh, you don't have to have a degree to get a teaching qualification (it used to be the CertEd).

They are all part time courses usually one evening a week (dependent on the college that's running it). This will cover lesson plans, SoW, practical teaching (oh yes, you will need to aquire 60 hours of teaching per year - normally over 9 students at any one go), learning styles, risk assessment.....

The government (local council/Student finance bods) can give you a grant to cover the cost of the course.

It may well pay you to ask at a local adult education college and see if you can take evening classes.

Merlin

Your information is not wholly accurate - are you perhaps referring to the PGCE in Post Compulsory Education, or the CertEd?

The PGCE is still the PGCE (however now it is Professional Graduate rather than Postgraduate). It may be studied on a full or part time basis, or a flexible basis (one, two and up to three years respectively).

The government will not fund the full time PGCE, however there are various bursaries, grants and loans available.

More information on the PGCE is available here.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Merlin-the-hound
    Options
    Sorry dmg24, didn't intentionally get it wrong

I was working on what I know as I work for a college that's currently running this course - with changes from the University of Greenwich, I'm currently in year 2 of the course and that the council have given me a grant for the course (covers tutition fees). I couldn't have been paying that much attention! :-)

The college I work for payed for the first years fees (part of staff development), they are really good like that. So joining a college as a sessional tutor can be very benifital.

M
  • suzie_wong
    Options
    I'd like to earn some extra income by doing some maths tutoring. I have a maths degree and a masters degree in another subject. I also helped my sister through her maths A-level.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations as to what I should do, how much to charge, where to advertise, whether I should get any further training...

TIA

I am a maths tutor, and having been made redundant when my school closed, am now earning as much tutoring for 8 hours a week as I was teaching 2 1/2 days a week in school. There is a MASSIVE demand for it- you will be inundated with work within a few months.
    I would say get yourself a CRB check if you don't already have one, then just put up a couple of postcards in newsagents windows. I did this about 9 years ago and have had close to 40 different pupils in that time. Some wanted help preparing for a single exam, others have been ongoing. All came through word of mouth since the first pupil, and also through the schools at which I worked.

I currently charge £20 an hour for up to GCSE. I did charge less than this, but looked into what other people were charging and increased it when I went self-employed.

Obviously there are agencies which you can register, but in my experience you won't need to do that, and they do take quite a chunk of your earnings.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you want any further advice.
    Save £12k in 2021: Jan £1834.40, Feb £1692.81
  • barnaby-bear
    barnaby-bear Posts: 4,142 Forumite
    Options
    suzie_wong wrote: »
    I would say get yourself a CRB check if you don't already have one.

You can't request a CRB check as an individual. It's a pain that you can't but if you know clever ways around it... let us know....
  • therivierakid
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

I've emailed two local high schools and the sixth form college for advice and to ask if they recommend any agencies.

Fingers crossed...
    *removed by forumteam - please do not advertise in signatures*
  • suzie_wong
    Options
    You can't request a CRB check as an individual. It's a pain that you can't but if you know clever ways around it... let us know....

I didn't realise this- I have always been lucky enough to have it sorted by employers. It seems daft when parents can easily get one just to go in and help with reading at my kids schools, but someone wanting to work with children on a self-employed basis can't...? :confused: If I have any brainwaves I'll let you know!!
    Save £12k in 2021: Jan £1834.40, Feb £1692.81
  • therivierakid
    Options
    Wow. You must be flippin' clever. Why do you want to tutour? You should have some great options (as long as you got 2:1 + )

Long story. Current job not going great, company understaffed and I'm struggling with the extra responsibility because of it. I'm in the process of applying for other jobs and I could do with a fall back just in case the worse happens. I'm applying for AQA as well.
    *removed by forumteam - please do not advertise in signatures*
  • SEK_2
    SEK_2 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Just a quick question do you go to the childs home or does the child come to yours.
  • fred_quimby
    Options
    A good way to get a CRB is to register with a supply agency. OK you have to pay for it but at least you get one.
  • fred_quimby
    Options
    SEK it is up to you but usually I go to the childs home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure